My 1st wood lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all sorry in advance for this question as you've probably heard it a 1000 times but im looking to buy my 1st wood lathe i have about £1000 budget but thats for everything i need lathe, decent chuck and tools.
Please can anyone recommend anything. I've been looking at axminster and record power but really have no clue what is best value for money and what will last for years.
As ill be just starting out ill be looking to turn some bowls and lidded pots etc ??
Any help gratefully appreciated.
Thanks Craig

Join a club if you can before you commit to anything - it could save you a small fortune - you might even be lucky and pick up something from someone trading up (or down). What you actually need and what you think you need are likely to be different.

Very good idea phil ill look into finding a local club and see how that goes theres no massive hurry to buy anything yet. I have been looking at 2nd hand on ebay and gumtree but just worried about spending good money on a lemon or something that wont suit my needs (which im not sure are yet)

It's good to be with other like minded but more experienced people - you'll find out quickly enough what to and what not to think about, besides getting valuable advice on tools, chucks etc. The bits and pieces can quickly cost as much as the lathe.

My first lathe was an Axminster AWVSL900 along with a sk100 Axminster chuck. This is a nice lathe but I'm getting to the point where I'm doing med to large hollow forms and it's time to move on. The axi could well be worth a look. I can say I saw the new Record power herold cornet this weekend and it looked amazing. A big thumbs up for that one!

I'm just a step or two ahead of you and these guys are spot on. My budget was half the amount of yours so I was further limited. Anyway I bought a midi lathe and 3" scroll chuck with all the extra bits from Rutland's (that's another story - posted elsewhere in this forum) My lathe has a manual speed adjustment i.e. I have to move the belt to adjust speed and I wish I'd gone for one with electronic control and adjustment. Also I bought some Robert Sorby gouges because I heard that they were good but these were almost antiques and not HSS. I did join a club - after and not before.

All in all had I joined this forum before buying my kit and heeding the recommendations offered to you I would be in a better headspace and financial position. Good luck and welcome, so far I'm enjoying myself and spending more time in my garage workshop that in front on the PC.

Thanks for the advice im going to scour in net today for a local club in somerset, i have found a company called Yandel's only about 20 miles from me and they run a 2 day turning course which may be an option im sure ill get plenty of good advise. I've also just realised the axminster factory is only 40 miles away and they also run a turning course.
I

Most clubs will let you come to one or two meetings prior to joining so maybe try both and see which one fits you.

I was at yandles last week for their woodworking event. It's such a shame you missed it because there was so much there to see and people to quiz on what they use and so on. I like yandles, I think their advise is good. Sometimes at Axminster I found a few members of staff are just going through the motions and reading off the spec sheets and have never used the piece of equipment they are advising on. That always worries me a little ! Second hand saves money but buying new is always a nice experience being the first to get it dusty. :D

I was at the Yandles show too with the chairman of my club and he said exactly the same as you about Axminster

Axminster can be valuable for advice as long as you're speaking to a turner! The problem is you're usually speaking to someone who is in fact a retail salesman and therefore "buyer beware". There are six massive wins when joining a club:

1) the advice is free from bias except for maybe owners justifying their own purchase
2) you will have huge access to known 2nd hand machines from trustworthy sources and these are many hundreds of pounds cheaper than buying new, don't under estimate this.
3) you can attend their practical days and actually try first hand a number of different lathes to see which suit you
4) The work you will witness each month in the competition pieces is inspirational and drives your learning
5) You will be able to watch professional turners demonstrate for a fraction of the cost of seeing them elsewhere
6) It's bloody good fun to be with like minded people sharing the same passion

While the people in the Axminster shop may be retail staff and not very experienced in using the kit they sell, the staff in their training facility also in Axminster are brilliant.
I did their two day beginners turning course with Colwin Way. It definitely got me off to a good start which was then backed up at some workshops run by Berkshire Woodturners.

So as other have said, join a local club, and also go on a formal course. By doing a course at Yandles or Axminster you will get some experience of turning and advice from experts which should make choosing a lathe a lot easier.

By the way I have no connection with Axminster other than being a satisifed customer.

Hi all quick update ill be going along to local club next tuesday evening have a chat and see a professional turner in action, then all being well on the 10th oct they have a meet at yandels to get some shop hrs in and if i join would get a % off wood from yandels too. I'm thinking its just a matter of time, with good advise from some local turners ill have my own lathe to start me on my way..
:D

Back