Metabo HC260 v Dewalt 27300 planer/thicknessers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starcott

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been considering getting a Dewalt 27300.
However, the Dewalt is priced at least £300 more than the Metabo HC260. Besides the fact that with the Dewalt, there is no removing of the top table to convert from planing to thicknessing, what other differences are there that make the Dewalt so much better than the Metabo?
Is the Dewalt more accurate, is the fence better, is it easier to change the blades?
Any views would be much appreciated.
John

Hello,

That DeWalt machine is junk. The surfacing/jointer table is is thin-walled extruded aluminium; neither strong, nor flat or straight enough. Buy the Metabo (it has injection moulded aluminium infeed and outfeed tables, milled flat), or better still, a separate jointer and a thickness planer.

By,

János

Based on my experience I would say the same about the Metabo Janos.

Roy.

I"d be interested to know what it is about the Metabo that you feel represents poor quality.

John

To be fair John mine might have been a one off, but the tables were bowed, the thicknesser base was twisted and there was no way in which those errors could be corrected.

Roy.

Roy, it may not be a one off. I have an Electro Beckum version and one of the tables is certainly not true. For that reason I was looking for a P/T with about the same capacity, but with tables which are true. Have you any suggestions?
I was wondering if the new Metabo, with a 3 year warranty, might be the answer.

John

To be honest John none that could afford, other than old Brit cast iron ones, but most were three phase.
I use a Metabo thicknesser and an old Brit planer now.

Roy.

Thank you for that Roy.

After all the advice, I have now decided to go for seperates and am looking at the Axminster CT150 planer.
Would your Metabo thicknesser be the DH330?
If so, can you recommend it?

John

It is indeed John, would I recommend it? That depends, the knives cannot be sharpened and I was being charged £50 a set!
I have since converted it to use DeWalt knives, which can be sharpened.
If you can get knives at a price that you are willing to pay, then yes! Otherwise I can recommend the DeWalt thicknesser.
These two are the only modern machines that I am familiar with but others on here might be able to advise further.
I had a DeWalt but sold it on simply because I was having difficulty setting the knives due to having lost the use of my left eye, and with it my depth perception, others do not have that problem of course.

Roy.

Hi
In our experience Metabo all the way. Dewalt blades are the expensive ones. Yes Metabo uses the double edged disposables but we pick them up for around £22 a pair delivered.
Metabo machine is the same as the Electra Beckum, Draper and I think another (they've been bought out so many times). What I'm trying to say is tried and tested and still on sale. Dewalt are the worst for discontinuing a range 6 months after launch

Back