MELCO Brace.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boringgeoff

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I picked up this brace recently, it is branded: MELCO 1952 ^ ( this a Gov't arrow) and BC3052.
The business end has a tapered socket 3/8in wide at the mouth and a bit over an inch deep, while the other end has a massive head nearly 4 1/2in wide. There's a single 7/16in steel ball as a thrust bearing inside the head. The brace has a 10in sweep and as you can see there are some remnants of red paint on it.
I'm making an assumption that it may be an automotive tool made by Thomas Meldrum of Sheffield. The wide head makes me think you have to exert a lot of lineal pressure on whatever you're turning, something spring loaded to engage perhaps?
Any ideas?
Cheers,
Geoff.

Attachments

• MELCO 001.png
    MELCO 001.png
    124.5 KB · Views: 855
  • MELCO 004.png
    MELCO 004.png
    91.4 KB · Views: 855
  • MELCO 005.png
    MELCO 005.png
    70.4 KB · Views: 855
  • MELCO 008.png
    MELCO 008.png
    82.3 KB · Views: 855
The 1953 Buck and Hickman catalogue shows Melco brand spark plug spanners, which suggests it may well be a vehicle tool.

Maybe a wheel brace for army trucks?

I'm with Andy - Melco are well known in automotive circles for their tubular box spanners, a sort of simpler version of a socket.

During the years after WW2, there was a bit of experimentation going on with automotive and engineering fitting tools. My Dad had a set of Britool sockets given to him as a wedding present (my parents married in 1956) which had a hexagon drive rather than the now universal square - I gather hex drive socket sets and equipment crop up from time to time on that well-known interweb auction site, mostly in Whitworth sizes, so these days only of real use to those involved in restoration of older equipment.

My guess (note - it is just a guess!) is that Thomas Meldrum were trying to market their own version of a socket set, of which the illustrated brace was a part. It does seem that mechanic's socket set speed braces mostly had plain handles rather than the wooden ones associated with carpenter's braces. The square socket rather than the more usual (these days) male square wasn't unique - I once used a very early heavy socket set salvaged from Gresford Colliery when it shut, that had a huge ratchet with a square hole into which fitted the shank of the sockets, just as the tang of a bit fits the socket of a carpenter's brace. I'd tentatively date it to about the 1920s or '30s, and it was an absolute bear to use, being extremely heavy and unwieldy. I'm not surprised the modern design 'won'!

So maybe I've got to start looking for a set of sockets with a tapered 3/8" drive tang? Thanks for that CC you stirred what may be an ancient memory of the big socket set you described.
Thanks for the link to the Amobrequin brace Andy, that's very interesting. The Michelin chauffeur was doing well to repair the flat tyre, stay clean and retain his composure all the while with the car sitting precariously on the jack.
My first car in 1965 was a 1936 Austin 7, my parents gave me a socket set which consisted of 6 Whitworth sockets which were hex drive and the handle was like an oversize Allen key.
I'm thinking that BC 3052 may be the tool part number?
What's got me bluffed is, why is the head of this brace so wide?
Cheers,
Geoff.

Back