Marking Gauges - suggestions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BugBear,

The 5061 was rather badly made and then ceased.

I Learnt a clever way of avoiding head wobble from Colen Clenton, so was quite happy to clean up and modify Marples cheapest.

I used to insist that my students had 4 gauges. 4 X £4.50 not unreasonable, 4 X £70 or £80 not so reasonable.

Besides the tuning up provided invaluable teaching into every aspect of the tools function.

Best wishes,
David

As a site chippy I tend to use a combi square and 2" of pencil (if I can find the flipping thing). For accurate work I swop the pencil for a Stanley knife. I'm nowhere near as skilled as those who can do it with just their fingers and a stubby pencil. Admittedly I did borrow someone's Veritas wheel wotsit recently and was impressed. I've never really got along with the pin gauges and can't remember what I did with mine. I think the only issue I found with the Veritas was that it could have done with a greater flat surface to reference against.

I love well made instruments like those shown above and would have one in a shot, but I'm not sure how well they'd do bunged in a box full of furry rusty tools thrown in the back of the van.

bugbear":2b30mntq said:
David C":2b30mntq said:
I have many types of gauge, but generally prefer to use my modified standard Marples gauges. About £4-50.
Did you change your mind about the merits of the Stanley 5061, or were you forced to move on because they're no longer made?

BugBear

Hello,

They were the most sensible design of a simple gauge and i can only think that patents or something stopped copiers after they were ceased by Stanley. They command stupid prices, second hand now, but I think they should be the starting point for home made gauges.

Mike.

The metal wheeled version from Rutlands were incredible value when they were on offer for around £8 each- I bought 3. I looked yesterday and they're now £29 each !
I've also got a sharp edged,unecessarily heavy,clumsy, micro adjusting Axminster offering-my first wheeled version. The Rutlands knocks it's socks off for quality,simplicity,finish and ease/comfort of use. The only thing I had to do was loctite the screws in the end.
My site kit has a couple marples bootsale jobbies chucked in with the rest of the tools. I filed the pins so they're a little sharper.
They only have to lock securely and scratch a line, but those Rutlands ones...they so pretty and comfortable :lol:
I only mainly use marking gauges for hinge marking, but I look forward to using those Rutlands ones. They really are a joy to use !
Coley

woodbrains":16g4hoxd said:
They [Stanley 5016] command stupid prices, second hand now, but I think they should be the starting point for home made gauges.
[Paul] Sellers again? Recommending cheap tools which then become expensive. File under irony!

(musing) Either Sellers has a truly huge number of faithful followers, or the number of second hand
tools on eBay is small enough that a small number of new buyers can substantially alter
the supply/demand relationship.

BugBear

bugbear":1wst2ech said:
woodbrains":1wst2ech said:
They [Stanley 5016] command stupid prices, second hand now, but I think they should be the starting point for home made gauges.
[Paul] Sellers again? Recommending cheap tools which then become expensive. File under irony!

(musing) Either Sellers has a truly huge number of faithful followers, or the number of second hand
tools on eBay is small enough that a small number of new buyers can substantially alter
the supply/demand relationship.

BugBear

going off topic slightly but I suspect it is a little bit of both but the main reason is the way ebay works - you can see all sold / complete listings and ebay will even suggest a price automatically based on previous sold listing.

Vintage record vices (especially 52, 52 1/2 and 53's) all seem more expensive than Paul suggests in his videos - Most of the ones listed for sale as I type this probably come from people who have no idea who Paul Sellers but his endorsement to a few who then go out and buy up the available supply at the time would help push prices up which then sets a new ebay suggested price as the benchmark.

***EDIT - I can see only 1 Stanley 5061 for sale on ebay at the moment - not as mint as others that have sold buit a reasonable £3 bid at the moment. I can see others in better condition ave sold for more with one going for £27 plus postage!!

I used to make 5601 copies, but I found wedge clamping ones easer to make.
I will post some 5601 photos when I get back to my computer.

Pete

Back