Maple/B.walnut & Br.mahogany

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Got these three pieces of timber from my wood stock, maple 10x2, bwalnut 6x2 and a piece of Br.mahogany 6x1 to prepare for some more of those tissue boxes.

1w.jpg

Set up my mitre saw station, but things had gone out of true over the past autumn/winter and had to true up. Straight edged ruler used (arrowed).

3w.jpg

Cut the maple first, halved, and the 10inch width is an awkward size for my TBs, not wanting to be wasteful of this expensive timber I cut an 80mm width off using the bandsaw and after preparation on the P/T etc it is not going to be wide enough without a pattern piece inserted to give usuable width. So my idea of using that new design discussed last month will have to wait for a more suitable piece of wood.

Two sets of patterned boards being glued using a clamp given me by an Australian member Sturdie, Peter around 2005 on a visit to his super workshop in Melbourne. (marked with crosses)

4.jpg

Two more sets awaiting their glue up,

5w.jpg

Attachments

• 1w.jpg
    1w.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 1,864
  • 3w.jpg
    3w.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 1,864
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 1,864
  • 5w.jpg
    5w.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 1,864
Interesting (to me) I had to cut a new length of black walnut (there was some wavy edge left on one edge) and things were a bit tight re board widths in obtaining a spare.
So I used considerable side pressure on the timber being cut when sliding past the bandsaw blade so not to oversize the piece if things went astray.

Put it through the thicknesser and got a satisfactory part.

However an hour later the timber had bowed, stress obviously, I think that was caused because of that side pressure, and perhaps if I had let it glide past the blade freely the timber would not have reacted as such. (800mm x 12mm x 12mm was the length being worked on) It is taking a lot of clamping to hold timber in place whilst glue sets.

didnt you have fun and games with that black walnut last year, or was that a different piece that moved after cutting?

marcros":3lhp5803 said:
didn't you have fun and games with that black walnut last year, or was that a different piece that moved after cutting?

Yes I think it has come from the same board, it must be a problem piece with stress.

Oddly enough I had to make it up making two lengths, the first length I fixed down with lots of glue and yesterday when I repeated the operation with the second half the strip had settled down to a now usuable strip, so machining must be to blame imo.

I have got sidetracked, the clear weather spell meant I have switched to house maintenance and got caught up on some house painting. (water blasted masonry paint off an outside wall that has gone rotten, 50 years of repainting and algae has penetrated lower layers, so it was a very wet job yesterday and clearing up to do.)

Yes many members obviously look into the wips of mine and others and regarding boxes I do not ever sell I just repay debts and kindnesses that have been extended to me and others if I can.

The weather this morning!!!!!!!!!!

6w.jpg

That painting job mentioned.

7w.jpg

Those two glued sections that were giving trouble!!!!!!!

8w.jpg

Attachments

• 6w.jpg
    6w.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 1,593
  • 7w.jpg
    7w.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 1,593
  • 8w.jpg
    8w.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 1,593
devonwoody":2cen58yn said:
marcros":2cen58yn said:
didn't you have fun and games with that black walnut last year, or was that a different piece that moved after cutting?

Yes I think it has come from the same board, it must be a problem piece with stress.

Oddly enough I had to make it up making two lengths, the first length I fixed down with lots of glue and yesterday when I repeated the operation with the second half the strip had settled down to a now usuable strip, so machining must be to blame imo.

I have got sidetracked, the clear weather spell meant I have switched to house maintenance and got caught up on some house painting. (water blasted masonry paint off an outside wall that has gone rotten, 50 years of repainting and algae has penetrated lower layers, so it was a very wet job yesterday and clearing up to do.)

Yes many members obviously look into the wips of mine and others and regarding boxes I do not ever sell I just repay debts and kindnesses that have been extended to me and others if I can.

Please don't think I was being rude I was curious as to weather you sell them or not coz they're really cool.

It was a bit too cool down here to work outside on that painting job so got back in the w/s and got these carcasses made up.

10w.jpg

I intend putting stringers down each corner in a contrast timber.

This is partly because my saw blade (60T) is leaving a beard on its cutting edge, it is a fairly new blade and not cutting maple as cleanly as the previous blade. Or it might be that my tablesaw is 5 years old now and the drive belt as most probably slackened and blade is not spinning so fast?

I am not really in a position these days to tip the t/s over and do some maintenance under the table. Nor do I want to work on my knees and doing any adjustments if possible without tipping the table.

So if anyone is down this way on holiday in the summer, I am sure there will be a box waiting :oops: :wink:

Attachments

• 10w.jpg
    10w.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 1,480
I have cut the corners with the rebate router and that beard at outside of timber is apparent again.

So it must be a piece of unkind timber and not the tablesaw blade.

11w.jpg

Prepared some black walnut for those stringers on the bandsaw, less wastage from blade and using up offcuts that would normally be thrown in bin.

12w.jpg

Stringers glued at corners and held with masking tape, taken into the conservatory where its 15 degrees warmer than the w.s. for glue to set.

13w.jpg

In the meantime knocked up these 4 tops again a combination of maple and walnut and again using the warmth of the conservatory. (its around 7C down here, and misty)

14w.jpg

Rushing this job a bit, we have some Australian visitors arriving and hope to make gifts of this set.

Attachments

• 11w.jpg
    11w.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 1,396
  • 12w.jpg
    12w.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 1,396
  • 13w.jpg
    13w.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 1,396
  • 14w.jpg
    14w.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 1,396
Have you got a zero clearance insert on your TS? If you have does the new blade perhaps have a thinner kerf than the one it replaced?

monkeybiter":2axdaw9f said:
Have you got a zero clearance insert on your TS? If you have does the new blade perhaps have a thinner kerf than the one it replaced?

Thanks for that point, my crosscut sled is showing signs of wear at the blade aperture, perhaps I could put on a sheet of hardboard and produce a new cutting line at its base and see if that improves matters.
I will let you know how I get on.

Had a good day all round yesterday, (weather improvement as well!)

The stringers were all good with the exception of one corner, so original stringer was cut out with the router and a new insert glued in.

15w.jpg

Tops of boxes cut to overall sizes and carcasses sanded clean together with shaping of those corner stringers with the exception of that bad corner and awaiting its treatment in the dressing room.

16w.jpg

Around another 6 hours work should mean they will be completed in time for onward travel to Oz. as gifts for many favours extended to us over the past ten years.

Attachments

• 15w.jpg
    15w.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 1,341
  • 16w.jpg
    16w.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 1,341
Nearly there, tops on and aperture needs roundover, and under sliders made to hold tissues in box.

17w.jpg

Hopefully three of these boxes will go to friends in Australia, in 2006 my wife had an accident and needed a new hip joint. All three came to our aid with their kindness, generosity and gave us accommodation in Oz. for nearly 6 months. (was not allowed to travel because of op. and also we had no insurance because of other problems)

Another box is going to Perth in Oz. who kindly gave me a spare motor and battery compartment for my Triton respirator recently.

And Australian friends are coming into us in 4 days time and hopefully they can get them back to Australia for us.

Attachments

• 17w.jpg
    17w.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 1,299
They look really nice - well done. Just a quick thought though - in a previous job I had to ship lots of stuff to Australia and know they have very strict rules on importing timber products. We had to go to great lengths to avoid where possible or use only certified heat treated timber even as packing pieces. It may be worth checking that these would be allowed in before your friends get stopped at customs...... I would hate to see these being confiscated and incinerated!

Graham

Hopefully it will be OK, being taken in via customs/agric. personally and as long as the items are declared the authorities have let my stuff as gifts go in on past occasions.

They look great........

maybe if you cut up to a scribe line with the router or table saw it would cut the top fibres and reduce the bearding effect?

Found an offcut of oak (job lots from Yandles sale offers) and made the sliders by resawing 18mm thick pieces and getting down to 4.5mm pieces on the thicknesser.

18w.jpg

we had a pleasant sunny afternoon down here in Devon so I coated all boxes made this April out on the garden table with sanding sealer.

19w.jpg

So project now completed, hopefully four boxes will be on there way to Oz. shortly, will leave boxes bare for owners to polish how they wish.

House maintenance and delayed gardening now a priority (unless weather closes down again) also lots of visitors saying they are coming in.

Attachments

• 18w.jpg
    18w.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 357
  • 19w.jpg
    19w.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 357
Back