London Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Took delivery of this board of London Plane, the stock was recommended to me by Condesteso and I placed the order with Timberline in Kent and delivery arrived the next day, and charge for delivery was very reasonable £9.95. Nice board around 7ft x 12" x 60mm thick. I was charged for a cubic foot at £66. (one surface knot at narrow end)

1w.jpg

Then I had to get the painting gear out.

3w.jpg

The neighbour arrived to help at 06.00am in the morning, we did not want to work in the heat.
We did this.

4w.jpg

I returned the compliment in the afternoon helping him cut down one of his fir trees.

But finally got to work on the board later in the afternoon and did this.

2w.jpg

Some boxes and furniture is booked for the future.

Attachments

• 1w.jpg
    1w.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 221
  • 3w.jpg
    3w.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 216
  • 4w.jpg
    4w.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 216
  • 2w.jpg
    2w.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 216
Is it quarter sawn? If so then you get lacewood.

Have fun..make sure your blades are (a) new (b) ultra-sharp (c) you have a drum sander handy when it all starts tearing out :twisted:

i am looking forward to seeing some projects wioth this. One of my favourirte timbers, and I have a stack for my next project- a double bed.

No the timber is not quarter sawn, that was double the price.

However I will cut 12mm slices vertically to plank as drawn and to me that is quarter sawn enough. :wink:

5w.jpg

Attachments

• 5w.jpg
    5w.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 144
Could not wait to cut off a piece. :wink:

It appears this timber is going to work nice and easy, took of a lump with the bandsaw, cut like butter, put on the planer and thicknesser and provided I found which way it liked to work best the surface will be OK. (in fact it hardly needed any planing after the bandsaw cut).

So I have cut a vertical 12mm strip (not photographed yet) and the grain looks just like lacewood, I was optomistic the board finished up 52mm deep. Therefore boxes will have a contrast border top and bottom edge.

6w.jpg

Attachments

• 6w.jpg
    6w.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 113
I've got enough London Plane for the back and sides of a guitar... Seeing this is getting me excited again!

Fraser

Back