Lidded Urn for Critique

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHJ

Established Member
Reaction score
Thought it was about time I stuck my head over the wall to see if this rates above the mundane and get thoughts on proportions.

Dimensions: 135mm high X 95mm diameter.

Woods used:
Walnut, (base,body spacers and lid)
Ash, (main segments and lid collar)
Bog Oak, (main vessel collar)
DSCN3178.JPG
DSCN3179.JPG
DSCN3180.JPG
DSCN3181.JPG
DSCN3182.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN3178.JPG
    DSCN3178.JPG
    146 KB · Views: 1,658
  • DSCN3179.JPG
    DSCN3179.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 1,659
  • DSCN3180.JPG
    DSCN3180.JPG
    144.4 KB · Views: 1,679
  • DSCN3181.JPG
    DSCN3181.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 1,675
  • DSCN3182.JPG
    DSCN3182.JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 1,676
mun·dane/ˌmənˈdān/
Adjective:

1. Lacking interest or excitement; dull.
2. Of this earthly world rather than a heavenly or spiritual one.

Definitely not mundane methinks! Most covetous as usual. =P~

Not so much a criticism, more an 'interesting to see' , I think maybe if the lid was on, rather than in, and with a slight overlap to 'match' with the foot, it may appear more 'balanced'? I think thats the word anyhow?

Edit: I always thought bog oak was black? :oops:

the lid collar is too high/tall and the curve to the collar on the shoulder of the vessel isnt quite right- it needed to roll over to a stop rather than changing direction and heading slight upwards to meet the collar

Quality etc is impeccable as always Chas but I agree with George on the shape and design. The collar seems superfluous and the shoulder would be better if it met the neck horizontally IMHO. I've lost count of the urns and hollow forms I have done trying to get those curves just right LOL. Definitely not mundane though

Pete

Can't disagree with the others!!

Beautifully made as always but that collar is way too big and spoils the flow of the urn. I keep seeing the collar rather than the segments and how they all fit together.

Surprised that Jonzjob bloke hasn't been on with some joke about how much does a Grecian urn!! :roll:

agree with others on here about the collar.
end grain on the spacers and lid would have evened the colours out nicely
since the feature is the ash grain(IMO) the walnut could be be presented in a less competing fashion

nice contrasts , tight joints

did you use the software? how much for cutting error?

Harlequin":1t9vbsuq said:
agree with others on here about the collar.
Yes the collar height was my my reservation but once off the lathe it has to be lived with.

end grain on the spacers and lid would have evened the colours out nicely
I do use end grain where I can envision a colour benefit but on such a long slice it can be very difficult to maintain the tight joints, as soon as you apply the moist glue on to such thin slices it distorts and can be difficult to clamp.

End grain on the lid would not work, too much distortion and too fragile in use on such a thin section.

did you use the software? how much for cutting error?
I use my own version of the segment sizing to determine basic dimensions, where I have an even thickness of stock material I normally get away with 3-4mm of padding but it is not critical if you allow more as long as all stock is the same thickness so that clamping whilst glueing is symmetrical.

The Ash in this piece was actually cut on a compound angle to get the figuring and stock was only 15mm thick to start with so had to be assembled as a cone.

cornucopia":194pwnha said:
the lid collar is too high/tall and the curve to the collar on the shoulder of the vessel isnt quite right- it needed to roll over to a stop rather than changing direction and heading slight upwards to meet the collar
Agreed on the collar height George, all I can say in defence it looked OK on the lathe, I get your point regarding the curve at the top, will have to adjust my method of assembly in future as once glued up material removal for finish took presidence over profile. Although I note I'm not the only one to fall foul of missing this ideal, The Ash Candle Holder project in Woodturning shows a distinct difference in form to the idealised sketch (page57 spring2012)

Bodrighy":194pwnha said:
..I agree with George on the shape and design. The collar seems superfluous and the shoulder would be better if it met the neck horizontally IMHO. ....
The collar was an attempt to match a ceramic version I have seen, but I admit to getting the proportions wrong it should have been much shorter, and the whole vessel was wider, incidently the ceramic version did not have a flat top at the collar but I admit it was a constant curve.
pot1.jpg

Attachments

• pot1.jpg
    pot1.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 1,418
I think it's a lovely piece Chas, your usual standard of workmanship comes shining through as always .
You have set a very high standard in this type of work .And you seem to be getting pleasure from it .
That's what's important .Long may it last .

CHJ":30p9uhjb said:
breaker19":30p9uhjb said:
Have you used Laburnem in main body?
No the woods used and where are listed in the Opening Post.

Bog Oak? What sort of Bog Oak is it?
Just asking because all the bog wood I've seen has been a lot darker in colour.

breaker19":3h182lre said:
Bog Oak? What sort of Bog Oak is it?
Just asking because all the bog wood I've seen has been a lot darker in colour.

Just depends on how long it has been immersed I guess, I don't know where that particular piece was dug up from.

Latest posts

Back