LED Battens

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, but I wish I'd seen them when I was building my man-cave. They look superb, and I have seen them installed elsewhere. Just make sure you get the colour temperature that you want. Cool white is good in work spaces but horrible in the lounge.

Can't help with the battens, but I've just put 600x600 LED panels in my workshop fitted 2-up (so 600 x 1200) into simple wooden frames. Each panel was ~£20, outputs 4000 Lumens and consumes 48w. Cool White 6000k, and *so* much better than florries. Recommended.

Steve Maskery":3qriz4vj said:
Have you got a photo of that, Peter, please?
This is the panel:-
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400921892859

And in situ:-
54afaf971c8bca6dca8e1ac7e92658fd.jpg

Unfinished - before the diffusers are on.

HTH P

Thanks all! General consensus seems positive and looks like a couple of 3000 lumen battens should do it.

Whilst we are on the subject I also recommend Diall LED bulbs- the day I replaced a whole house worth the house was a lot brighter!

Smaller versions brilliant (pun?) as worklights as well.
Panel Light 12w.JPG

This one is 12w & was approx £7 from one of the chinese sellers with a warehouse in the UK.

Attachments

• Panel Light 12w.JPG
    Panel Light 12w.JPG
    186.8 KB · Views: 2,175
I bought two from Homebase recently. Stunningly good and pretty cheap. I bought one, loved it and bought another. Daylight balanced as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buy it. Try it. end it back.

I've recently bought some so-called LED floodlights but find that the angle of illumination very poor. Also the definition of colour temperature is so vague as to be laughable. We trialled a couple of lights that were allegedly 'warm white'. Huge colour difference.

The new COB LEDS are pretty damn good though.

Bear in mind that the colour temperature of LEDs is not consistent between bulbs. For that reason, we've bought a few spare so that when one of them fails (they will) the replacement will have the same colour temp as the others.

petermillard":1pxvaasl said:
Steve Maskery":1pxvaasl said:
Have you got a photo of that, Peter, please?
This is the panel:-
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400921892859

And in situ:-
54afaf971c8bca6dca8e1ac7e92658fd.jpg

Unfinished - before the diffusers are on.

HTH P

Do these panels come with a diffuser Peter? Very interested because I'm just completing my workshop build and these look ideal. Also, that sounds like a lot of light for what looks like a small space (not a criticism - just trying to get it right) - would you mind telling me the size of the space and the number of panels you used please?

Thanks

Paul

Roughcut":2zobmfmp said:
I put one of these in my 8' x 8' shed:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-weatherpr ... -6ft/3398g

Easy to install, low power consumption, very bright, I can't think of any negatives.

I've the same in my workshop over the bench. Wow, what light! I've a low ceiling, only about 7' would probably be much better if up higher. I'm actually on the lookout for a 600 x 600 panel for over my lathe.

Paul200":1xav6qpr said:
Do these panels come with a diffuser Peter? Very interested because I'm just completing my workshop build and these look ideal. Also, that sounds like a lot of light for what looks like a small space (not a criticism - just trying to get it right) - would you mind telling me the size of the space and the number of panels you used please?

Thanks

Paul
They don't come with a diffuser, no - I'm making them as I want to combine the two panels into a single 'luminaire', but the light from them is pretty diffuse.

It is a lot of light, yes - I've been struggling a little with the previous setup for the video work, and want more light to give me more flexibility, purely for that aspect of things.

Actual workshop size is ~2.5 x 5.8m (8'6 x 19' ish), I have 8 of those panels grouped in pairs, and will be adding a single 9th as there's a bit of a 'dead spot' - again this is purely for the video stuff.

You can get 1200 x 300 panels that are very similar, outputting ~4000Lm per panel if that shape suits you better.

I did a 'shop tour' video recently, may be of some interest?? Don't have the link to hand, but it's on my YouTube channel, should be a link in my sig. or www.10minuteworkshop.tv will take you straight there.

HTH P

petermillard":2mwedqz6 said:
I did a 'shop tour' video recently, may be of some interest?? Don't have the link to hand, but it's on my YouTube channel, should be a link in my sig. or http://www.10minuteworkshop.tv will take you straight there.

HTH P

Thank you Peter - a very helpful reply :) I checked out your video and will be going straight back to it as soon as I start to fit mine out - some great space-saving ideas there. I need to get myself a Manfrotto boom arm! I had a similar setup in my old workshop but nothing quite as sophisticated!

Much appreciated - thanks again.

Paul

I've just bought 3 of these ready to put up in my single garage. I hooked one up to a plug to test and it's much better than what I have, so hopefully 3 will be sufficient. It should be noted though that painting your walls white will make a HUGE difference. I may paint them at some point, but not anytime soon as I quite like the brick look. I feel like having the white walls will give me headaches as I am prone to getting them with bright lights/sun etc :(

http://www.screwfix.com/p/led-batten-45 ... -5ft/5440r

I have just installed these in new garage workshop. They Chuck out lots of light. I have not moved in yet so can't say hat are like to spend hours with. But first impressions, are they are fab

Not quite what you asked for but I have used LED tape for my 5m by 3.6m workshop. I used a high output bright white LED tape from https://www.ultraleds.co.uk/2520-lumen- ... -reel.html and three separate power supplies from eBay. I originally had a single PSU but it was fan cooled and noisy and the three separate PSU's are not fan cooled therefore silent. It works extremely well with a very even and bright light throughout the whole workshop.

Back