Knowledge of Cross Bros #28 plane?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPinonit

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any knowledge of a wooden plane manufacturer by the name of Cross Bros (Brothers)? Today, whilst attending the funeral of this plane's owner, I noticed it. It is marked with 'Cross Bros warranted' and the number 28 is marked in a couple of places. It is also marked (on the blade (?) I think) 'Cardiff', but I can see no dates and a Google search threw up no useful info that I could see. The plane in very [very] large and heavy and has a saw type handle rather than a knob. Sorry, the part names might not be correct, but hopefully you understand the parts I mean.

I'm not interested in values etc, just curious to know whether they were working planes and perhaps what they might have been designed for.

TIA
Steve

Don't know the name from memory.

If you're vague on proper terminology for a written description, a photo might be useful.

BugBear

I'll have to try to get a photo, but I thought I'd best not do that at the wake. Might be some time until I get a chance, so I'll re-post when I have it. It'll probably end up being nothing but junk, but hey, you never know.

Cheers
Steve

You're right, there doesn't seem to be much on the web. Listed under 'furnishings and general' on a list of businesses around 1880

Also this:
My grandfather worked in Cardiff from 1924 to 1928 for a company called Cross Bros Ltd on Working Street. They were a plumbing supply company.
Google has a nice picture of a wringer mangle from the early 20th century with their name on as well.

So I guess they were a kind of ironmongery/hardware supplier. The plane is a bit of a rarity then possibly :)

Dan-K":uxeb0u3p said:
You're right, there doesn't seem to be much on the web. Listed under 'furnishings and general' on a list of businesses around 1880

Also this:
My grandfather worked in Cardiff from 1924 to 1928 for a company called Cross Bros Ltd on Working Street. They were a plumbing supply company.
Google has a nice picture of a wringer mangle from the early 20th century with their name on as well.

So I guess they were a kind of ironmongery/hardware supplier. The plane is a bit of a rarity then possibly :)

Google Books (always a prime source of older info on the net) has:

The Foundry 1905":uxeb0u3p said:
Cross Bros, Ltd., has been organised with a capital of £60,000 to acquire the business of ironmongers, iron merchants, furnishers and general dealers carried on at 3-4 St Mary street and 21-23 Working street, Cardiff, Glamorgan. The business of metal founders, boilermakers, agricultural implement manufacturers and merchants, gunsmiths, dealers in chains, anchors and shipping appliances will also be carried on. The first directors are : C. Cross, E. E. Cross and T. N. Cross

If they were an ironmongers, it's possible they were simply branding planes (what we now call "OEM") not making them.

BugBear

Thanks guys

I too found some info dating back to the 1880s, but it appeared to be some town/city council records about some obstructions caused by the Cross Bros in the street outside their premises.

Maybe the blade would give some more clues, but I couldn't get too close a look the other day. I'll snap a few pics [at a later date] and see if they shed any light.

Thanks again
Steve

Hi...looking at the post dates this is a bit late....I have a pair of solid brass sink taps that have ceramic inserts with Cross Bros Ltd which going on the conversations seems to bit posher that general ironmongery.

Cross Bros. were general builders merchants and tool merchants in Cardiff, with outlying branches. I can recall them still in business in the 1960s. They were also house furnishers at one stage, I believe.

As retailers they didn't make tools but were big enough to be able to add their own name by the original maker, which was (and still is) regular practice.

Back