(kind of ) Review: Riley Toolworks Scratch awl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pedder

Established Member
Reaction score
Klaus and I got two scratch awls from Adam Riley - Riley Toolworks. Wonderful tools. Boxwood and steel is a fantastic combination. I hope you can see how precisely these are made!

IMG_0415.JPG

IMG_0416.JPG

IMG_0417.JPG

IMG_0418.JPG

IMG_0420.JPG

A little flat keeps it from roling of the bench.

IMG_0423.JPG

Fits well in my hand.
IMG_0424.JPG

It does, what it's suppossed to do: clean lines rip and cross and holes (diameter depending on pressure). Doesn't get better. And not prettier anyway.

Thank you Adam for this wonderful tools!

Cheers Pedder

Adam's tools are sublime!

The clean lines and precision machining are complimented with the right choice of woods...

I look forward to seeing him on Sunday!

Cheers for posting Pedder my friend

Jimi

CStanford":25rddy34 said:
Lovely without a doubt but they seem a touch too thick.

In actual fact...they are very fine at the pointy end....

DSC_0452.JPG

And just to show how wonderful the harmony of wood/metal is...

DSC_0447.JPG

Just wonderful!

Jim

p.s. Isn't this the "missing" pass around one? Sadly that's the last I saw of it too!

Why would one use a scratch awl rather than a marking knife- are they for different purposes, or just different ways to skin a cat?

Very nice looking tool
Sadly pass arounds on this forum have a habit of getting lost somewhere - the Loigier Rasp never succeeded in getting round everybody!And although I was the person who organised it, I was not the last person to post it on and was therefore not allowed by the PO to claim for it!

Rod

Harbo":5xpb1sqy said:
Very nice looking tool
Sadly pass arounds on this forum have a habit of getting lost somewhere - the Loigier Rasp never succeeded in getting round everybody!And although I was the person who organised it, I was not the last person to post it on and was therefore not allowed by the PO to claim for it!

Rod

That's such a shame,
When is the next pass around, I'd like to get involved.

Stunning
TT

Wow, thanks for the kind words Pedder.

Jim, I'll be at Richard's on Sunday, and I'll be donating five of these to the kitty.
Look forward to meeting.

All the best.
Adam.

jimi43":19wd8392 said:
In actual fact...they are very fine at the pointy end....

DSC_0452.JPG

Hi Jim, I think the grinding angel at our awls is different, but sure Adam will listen to the customer.

Cheers
Pedder

phil.p":10uyu716 said:
:) I was about to say that I don't see the reason for them - but I don't see the reason for a Lie Neilsen No.7 either. I still want one though.

Also useful if some scrote breaks into your shed.

Corporal Jones's memorable saying comes to mind! :mrgreen:

Jimi

I have a horrible feeling that Richard had/has the Liogier rasp last, and that it's somewhere (??) in the shed...

Sent from my ST26i using Tapatalk

Mrs T":zpnq1xtu said:
I have a horrible feeling that Richard had/has the Liogier rasp last, and that it's somewhere (??) in the shed...

I think Richard was considering buying one from Noel....I'm not sure if he did but it's highly likely. Noel would know.

He certainly admired the quality that's for sure.

Jim

jimi43":28enatbt said:
Mrs T":28enatbt said:

I think Richard was considering buying one from Noel....I'm not sure if he did but it's highly likely. Noel would know.

He certainly admired the quality that's for sure.

Jim

That's true, I remember emailing him about them (handle makers rasp)He wanted me to do a review on mine but having never used it yet I didn't get around to it.

TT

I'm vague on the details, but Noel definitely sent Richard a rasp of a new design to try out and review then to pass on to someone else - I don't know who. Is this ringing any bells with anyone?

Think Richard would have mentioned/ used it on his mitre page if he still had one

box-mitre-t76450.html

ps Thanks for putting Father Dougal back but anyone else find it odd he's married to Mrs Doyle ?

Careful now...

images.jpg

Actually, no offence whatsoever to Noel's rasp, but Richard found it wasn't suitable for what he was doing with the old mitres there. He didn't think he did the kind of work where he would find it useful or that it was designed for. I'll try to find it tonight and take some pictures.

(Pictures from the shed...just like the old days, eh?)

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Edited to say I've contacted M. Liogier directly since he's the most likely to know. Sorry again.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 797
Back