Jaguar XF sport brake

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anybody have one of these so that they can give any feedback?

I am looking for a large estate to replace my discovery with, with the hope of getting about double the mpg (I currently get about 22!). The spec on paper seems good. I don't need to lug huge heavy leads, more family plus labrador transport. The dog will not be squeezed in, so c class/3 series size is a bit small.

Looking at a 13/14 plate if that makes a difference, prob in luxury or premium luxury trim.

marcros":216vokz5 said:
Does anybody have one of these so that they can give any feedback?

I am looking for a large estate to replace my discovery with, with the hope of getting about double the mpg (I currently get about 22!). The spec on paper seems good. I don't need to lug huge heavy leads, more family plus labrador transport. The dog will not be squeezed in, so c class/3 series size is a bit small.

Looking at a 13/14 plate if that makes a difference, prob in luxury or premium luxury trim.

I don't marcros but did have a couple of test drives before I bought my current car as I was also looking for a large estate. I thought it felt a bit heavy and cumbersome which put me off when compared with the Audi A6 Avant and the quatro $wd on the Audi sealed the sale as I couldn't find a 4 wheel drive Jag at the time last year.
Mine has the 2 ltr diesel engine and I get between 38 and 45 mpg depending on how I drive. Only 22 when towing our caravan though! :shock:

Co-incidenltly I've been looking at the new discovery as possible next car or the Jaguar F Pace but the missus will kill me if I change again already.

Bob

I have seen a reasonable lease deal on the A6 Avant, but not the Quattro version. I might book a test drive to compare. I think that I would rather buy, so it will have to be a few years old, rather than new.

I really like the f pace but it is just too much money. By just, I mean "simply", not "only a little bit"! nice cars though.

marcros":1e44gu5t said:
I have seen a reasonable lease deal on the A6 Avant, but not the Quattro version. I might book a test drive to compare. I think that I would rather buy, so it will have to be a few years old, rather than new.

I really like the f pace but it is just too much money. By just, I mean "simply", not "only a little bit"! nice cars though.

Reason I wanted the 4wd is because I had an A6 saloon a few years ago and I really don't like FWD so changed to a quatro A4 avant which had a much nicer balance but smaller than I wanted hence the current one. It's a black edition as well so pretty well equipped.

I buy ex demo models Marcros at huge discounts, this one was 4 months old and £ 13600 off list as well as an exceptionally good price for my trade in. Took me a week to do the deal though and I walked away twice. :wink:

Bob

Attachments

• A6.2.jpg
    A6.2.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 1,337
The XF estate was not available when I replaced my car last year. Instead I got the BMW X5 2.5d sDrive (2wd) which I am loving. Great space for family, bikes, music equipment and kayaks. Consumption is easily double 22mpg and quoted is 50mpg but I have not seen that round town.

Lots about and I recommend.

The new XF Sportbrake is due out next year I think.

Personally I’d take the Jag over any of the German options but I like buying British. I had an X type for years and it didn’t cost me anything. It was brilliant. The XF is a very nice place to be. You should get 50mpg with either the 2.0 or 3.0 engine. I get 44mpg with the 3.0 engine and that’s mounted in a Discovery so in a sport brake you’ll get great mpg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DiscoStu":2qhkyi7e said:

Personally I’d take the Jag over any of the German options but I like buying British.

Well Indian really.

cutting42":gukz9cuu said:
DiscoStu":gukz9cuu said:

Personally I’d take the Jag over any of the German options but I like buying British.

Well Indian really.

Owned, but pretty much all of the R&D, manufacture and supply chain is in the UK.

It's in a much better state than it was when it was American ;)

thick_mike":3uavkij3 said:
cutting42":3uavkij3 said:
DiscoStu":3uavkij3 said:

Well Indian really.

Owned, but pretty much all of the R&D, manufacture and supply chain is in the UK.

It's in a much better state than it was when it was American ;)

Agreed, my comment was slightly tongue in cheek. A good friend works in the R&D group of Jag and I get to hear about all the goodies they have planned. He was very cross with me for getting a BMW after my Evoque.

paulm":29gxe36u said:
Is it only me that hates the term sport brake, is it an Americanism ?!!! :)
HUH? I thought it was thread about brake parts.
I'm with you.

paulm":tx73x3vy said:
Is it only me that hates the term sport brake, is it an Americanism ?!!! :)

The phrase comes from Shooting Brake I believe which is a very old English term and used to describe a large vehicle taking the landed gentry and their mates out for a days shooting.

I would look at the Merc E class Estate as another alternative - there are some good deals on 2ndhand ones at the moment - good spec in the SE models, loads of room and good economy from the diesels. I have a 2007 plate C220 estate, enough room for my Labrador cross; and still going strong at 135,000 miles, everything works; and my local Bosch garage seems to cope well with maintaining it.

cutting42":2vxn2vs7 said:
DiscoStu":2vxn2vs7 said:

Well Indian really.[/quote

Quite, don't think that you are dealing with the Jaguar of old.

I had a Jag and took it back to the dealer a few times because of an engine issue and occasional plumes of black smoke out of the exhaust. The service dept claimed that nothing was wrong until two weeks after the warranty expired when they explained that I needed a new turbo (with a quote of c£1,500) . I suggested that this was the problem they had failed to diagnose in the previous three months but they could scarcely contain the smirks when they said there was nothing wrong with the car previously. I took it up with Jaguar directly and they basically told me to foxtrot oscar despite proof of requests to investigate the fault (and evidence of an AA Relay recovery to the dealership)

Jaguar.....never again.

I have a feeling that there were only about 15 made. They certainly aren't going to be cheap!

flying haggis":ly50zinz said:
Lons":ly50zinz said:
marcros":ly50zinz said:
http://www.astonengineering.co.uk/aston-martin-db5-shooting-brake-001

Ha, love that, bet it's worth a fortune

bet that doesnt do 22+ mpg

If you can afford to buy it I guess economy wouldn't be high on the priority list. :lol:

Latest posts

Back