Iwasaki files or premier rasps?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cagenuts

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning folks.

I need (want) to get a couple of files and rasps to help with general wood shaping (saw handles, legs etc).

What's the verdict on the Iwasaki files? Are they a good substitute for the premier rasps like the Liogier and WH rasp?

I'm not looking for cheapies but I'd rather have more Iwasaki files for the same price as fewer rasps.

Thanks.

Assuming that the Japanese rasps that Rutlands sell are the same as you are asking about, as discussed in this relevant thread, then yes, I think they can be. I've got a couple of those, and have tried out Liogier/Auriou rasps belonging to other people - which are very good indeed. All of them are capable of removing wood in a controlled way and leaving a smooth surface, but the cutting action is different.
I expect the subtle differences would show up to varying degrees on woods of different hardness.
Overall, I think the answer is probably yes, but as with so many other choices it depends on lots of other variables in your own circumstances.

bugbear":3cdimatu said:
Racers":3cdimatu said:
Wow they are cheap!

Pete

Probably similar to the one WH had a coupla' years back, but confirmation would be good.

BugBear

I have a WH one it works well, its at the bottom of this picture.

Pete

I have ordered,

Hattori® Rasps, Cabinet Special 704679
Hattori® Crossing Rasps, Cut 5 704675
Hattori® Flat Rasp, with Pointed Tang, Cut 4/6 704671

I will test them when they arrive.

Pete

Do I detect a new excuse? "I have to buy these tools, it's for research!" ;-)

Yes and my birthday is coming up, I have all ready bought my self something (saves the wife the trouble) but I am sure my two boys would like to get me something.

Pete

Racers":2ma7pqtq said:
Yes and my birthday is coming up, I have all ready bought my self something (saves the wife the trouble) but I am sure my two boys would like to get me something.

Pete

I think I recognise that reasoning!

AndyT":21bme7af said:
Do I detect a new excuse? "I have to buy these tools, it's for research!" ;-)

It's a very old excuse. :D

I bought an unusual ruler in 2007 and didn't identify it until 2010. 3 years
of fascination for 50 pence! That's what I call value.

BugBear

Racers":2mdei2hv said:
I have ordered,

Pete

<obscure>You must have big rats.<obscure>

:D

BugBear

Hi, as allways a little late to the party, but here you go with my thoughts:

IMG_0219.JPG

theses are the rasps and files I use the most.

The round Iwasaki and the flat Nicholson magic cut , though they leave an extremly fine finish, are for coarse work. I never us my coarse rasps any more. Why not for fine work? Theses files have a "direction" and are not easy to stear. And like most files they leave tracks.

The one with the red padauk handle is a very special rasp. A fellow toolmaker send it to me and I don't know who made it. I think a Liogier or Auriou grain 11 would come nearest. That is the absolutly workhorse and used 50 % of the time. After that I use a Liogier grain 15 and a pitch 3 Grobet file. Sanding starts with 120 or 150 after that. Up to 600

IMG_0246.JPG

Cheers
Pedder

Racers":37m08cgs said:
I have ordered,

Pete

I am about to order from here, so am going to put a couple on the order. How do the cut numbers compare with stitch numbers- are higher or lower numbers a finer cut? They seem to have limited options, which may mean that it doesnt make a huge difference.

I guesses at higher number finer, my WH one is 6 and seems to leave a quite good finish.

I would leave it until report I back!

Pete

Gee thanks guys, good response. I'll also wait for Pete to report back on those Hattori rasps.

I'm also confused regarding the cut and they don't mention which handle is suitable for the various rasps and files.

cagenuts":1oi24trc said:
Gee thanks guys, good response. I'll also wait for Pete to report back on those Hattori rasps.

I'm also confused regarding the cut and they don't mention which handle is suitable for the various rasps and files.

there is a link below the detail on each rasp to open a chart. There is the off one missing, but most are on it.

Latest posts

Back