Horse Chestnut Hollow Form

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy43

Established Member
Reaction score
Another hollow form from me, this time from some horse chestnut that I roughed out several months ago, there was no spalting on this piece when I roughed out so came with the drying out process, its 6" diameter x 4 1/4" high
c&c welcome
cheers
Andy
hc1.jpg

hc3.jpg

hc4.jpg

hc5.jpg

Attachments

• hc1.jpg
    hc1.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 1,203
  • hc1.jpg
    hc1.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 1,205
  • hc3.jpg
    hc3.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 1,205
  • hc4.jpg
    hc4.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 1,205
  • hc5.jpg
    hc5.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 1,205
Looks great Andy. What finish process do you use as I love the deep shine / gloss effect without it looking plastic'y like a toffee apple!

Very well finished, not always easy with Horse Chestnut especially if spalting is taking place.
An attractive collection of natural contrasting colour ways displayed in the wood.

SVB":2w666ube said:
Looks great Andy. What finish process do you use as I love the deep shine / gloss effect without it looking plastic'y like a toffee apple!
Hi Simon
Thanks for the comments, with regards to finish on this piece I sanded to 400 grit, then applied a couple coats of thinned cellulose sealer 70/30 mix, let it dry then I used the first wheel of the chestnut system (Tripoli) to cut it back, then I applied microcrystalline wax by hand with a non abrasive nyweb pad, let it dry then buffed it up with wheel c, I applied 2 coats of the wax. to be honest I wasn't looking for a gloss finish but that's how it came up. if I was going for the high gloss I would use the buffing wheels A,B,C
HTH
Andy

CHJ":2gg4e8yv said:
Very well finished, not always easy with Horse Chestnut especially if spalting is taking place.
An attractive collection of natural contrasting colour ways displayed in the wood.
Thanks Chas, it was a nice surprise to see all the differing colours appear when I was re turning this
cheers
Andy

Back