Hand Operated Pillar Drills

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
I guess that the answer to this is that they were used successfully for many years but are the likes of

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hand-Operated ... 2566edeaa9

any use in the modern day workshop. In an ideal world, I would love something that could drill any of the wood and metalwork ideas that I can dream up, but in reality a machine that could accurately drill holes in wood, plastic and thin non-ferrous metals would probably satisfy my requirements. What are the limitations of hand pillar drills and does anybody use them regularly? Are there any pitfalls to look out for?

Thanks
Mark

marcros":2eys56ib said:
I guess that the answer to this is that they were used successfully for many years but are the likes of

any use in the modern day workshop. In an ideal world, I would love something that could drill any of the wood and metalwork ideas that I can dream up, but in reality a machine that could accurately drill holes in wood, plastic and thin non-ferrous metals would probably satisfy my requirements. What are the limitations of hand pillar drills and does anybody use them regularly? Are there any pitfalls to look out for?

Thanks
Mark

They're very slow for drilling in wood - I think they were used much more for metals, with feed rates to suit.

BugBear

marcros":2ktpf2wg said:

I use one every day as my only stationary drill.

As Bugbear has already noted the only drawback for most people used to the speed of a modern workshop is the slow rate of the automatic feed, which works off a cam and gear arrangement, driven off the main wheel.

If you have the time and/or patience, then it will go through anything, given the appropriate bit. What it won't do, however, is act as a mini milling machine/router/plane, as I have seen electric pillar drills used in the past.

Here is a link to the restoration of mine, if you are interested; excuse the sideways photos!

pillar-drill-restoration-t45396-15.html

El.

interesting read, Scouse. I fancy having a go at a restoration of one of these, if I can locate a local one, ideally with 2 speeds.

Are the chucks similar to a modern drill?

Very interesting read!
I am interested in this one, and hope to get it next week:
perceuse_2.jpg
I hope I will be able to start mortices, cut toy wheels and so on. :roll:

AHHHHH!!!! No!!!!!

My other favourite topic...I am trying desperately to avoid getting one of these...but my will is weakening....I just love the look of them! 8)

Must avoid slope...must avoid slope....must AVOID slope!!! :mrgreen:

You guys ain't helping none ya know! #-o

Jim

The few I've seen (for some reason I have two) have play in the quill that renders them less than ideal. At some point I'll join the 20th Century and get one of those newfangled plug-in versions.

Most of those things were designed to be used with flat-drills rather than the more modern twist-drill. An awful lot have had the feed ratchet removed, and that I think is why so many are worn, as they have been pushed through the work too fast, or the reverse they were overloaded by the ratchet feed. I've got one to set up one day.

Gareth

Brilliant things - Jim is after one (pretends not, but... we know better). They come up on ebay a bit. When they look that good, working is a bonus. Must say it comes as a bit of a shock to discover Scouse uses one (every day, even more of a shock)... =D>

how do you tell the difference between the one speed/2 speed/3 speed models? Am I correct in thinking the Gounther picture above is multi speed because of the extra cogs that could be engaged?

condeesteso":3hzqjpps said:
Must say it comes as a bit of a shock to discover Scouse uses one...

I'm sure I don't know what you mean...I'd never normally be caught anywhere near a hand drill...no sir, not me... :-" :wink: :mrgreen:

marcros":3hzqjpps said:
how do you tell the difference between the one speed/2 speed/3 speed models? Am I correct in thinking the Gounther picture above is multi speed because of the extra cogs that could be engaged?

I've never seen one like the picture above, but I'd guess it has a couple of speeds. The Union type drills came in single and two speed models. The twin speed like mine changes the speed by moving the drive wheel to a position lower in the frame, engaging a gear within the wheel. Here's an advert which explains better!

UnionDrill.jpg

must say if I lived near Wigan I would quite fancy that one (Marcos's). Looks really great, nice n simple, and it has a lever with a blue knob on it too. These big sods are always collection only... one day though.
And as for that one Gounthar... how could you not have bought that ?????????????

Well, hum... SWMBO can understand why I buy old tools, you know, not killing poor electrons, and so on...
But when these old tools can't be used for their initial goal because they're shot, I'm then considered as a hoarder, and she can't stand this anymore... :oops:
This drill is still for sale, if anyone is interested... :roll:

There are a few that come up on ebay, and internet research throws up some pictures of some beautiful pieces of cast iron- have a look for camelback drillpress for example. Unfortunately, they are few and far between this side of the pond. The trick with ebay is to be patient- I posted that link as an example, it isnt quite what I am looking for, although I didnt know that when I posted the link. I think that I will keep an eye out for a nice 2 speed union a1, tyzack or similar.

What is the going rate for that one with the balls on top, out of interest, and where is it?

Mark

Gounthar - interested definitely. (Me, Jim and Scouse I suspect, plus some). pm me if it's practical to acquire (will it fit my pocket?)

do those balls fly outwards with centrifugal force, acting like flywheels?

if not, what's the point of them?

Back