Glue for Castings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhyolith

Established Member
Reaction score
I broke a small casting, I think iron. As its not that big and the brake is very clean I was thinking I could glue it back together. Whats the best sort of glue for this? Ideally something cheap thats widely available.

Somebody mended a snapped in half spokeshave for me by brazing. Seemed to work very well I've still got it 20 years on. I think glue would only be temporary.

You could try silver-soldering, which is similar to brazing and is very strong. It can be done at home using a common plumber's blowtorch if it's only a small repair.

i snapped a casing on a motor mount for my lathe. I used jb weld, and it did exactly what i wanted it to. I got it from ebay, but i think that motor factors may keep it or similar.

Assuming it's not under stress, isn't this the sort of thing where cyanoacrylate (superglue) works ok? Or else epoxy, if you can clamp it hard enough to get a thin glue line.

I don't have any blow torches or welding equipment, the latter is on my long term to get list.

I was thinking maybe some epoxy, but was not sure how well it works on metal. Getting a fine glue line will not be difficult.

Following with interest.
005e0267560d55c41ca1ab86ffb5d6ea.jpg

J.b weld looks the easiest option so far.
Coley

coley that looks like its doomed! i doubt a repair would be strong enough for that, I may be able to knock one up on my milling machine.

adidat

adidat":2nz7tgdp said:
coley that looks like its doomed! i doubt a repair would be strong enough for that, I may be able to knock one up on my milling machine.

adidat
Yeah most likely- I'd only just reground and sharpened it, put it down on my bench to do something and heard a click. I'll try jb weld and if that fails just attack a piece of metal with a file.
I use the plane once in a blue moon, handy to have though...
Cheers
Coley

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Ryolith.
you have to be sure what it is to make a good repair. If its iron a magnet will stick to it.
If the magnet falls off its most likely alloy. Could even be zinc or just potmetal. Show us a picture.

Epoxy 2 part glue will fix either, but it helps to buy the glue thats specific for the metal.

Check on the instructions what the working time is. Most are 5 to 10 minutes, but some are almost instant stick.

Mix up a lot, spread it well into the crack. Squeeze it tight and leave it alone for at least 24 hours. you can clean off excess afterwards (unless its a complicated piece with fine indents, in which case clean of as much as you can before making the final alignment)

I used JB Weld to stick tungston carbide tips to 10mm rod for use as the rear ghuides on my Startrite 352 bandsaw, works perfectly.

sunny bob":1fspacj9 said:
...Show us a picture.

Untitled by Rhyolith, on Flickr

Don't ask how that happened... save it to say it was stupid #-o

garethharvey":1fspacj9 said:
Have literally just finished gluing the posts on my balustrade. This is the stuff I used, it's awesome and incredibly strong. Don't see why it wouldn't work for you: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Loctite-6...al-Adhesive-Retainer-Glue-50-ml-/400322473025

Have used this to glue the top fittings in to the upright posts.

This looks like the kind of thing I am after, though it does say its meant for cylinders. Would this matter?

Rhyolith":pbdih4v7 said:
sunny bob":pbdih4v7 said:
...Show us a picture.

Untitled by Rhyolith, on Flickr

Don't ask how that happened... save it to say it was stupid #-o

garethharvey":pbdih4v7 said:
Have literally just finished gluing the posts on my balustrade. This is the stuff I used, it's awesome and incredibly strong. Don't see why it wouldn't work for you: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Loctite-6...al-Adhesive-Retainer-Glue-50-ml-/400322473025

Have used this to glue the top fittings in to the upright posts.

This looks like the kind of thing I am after, though it does say its meant for cylinders. Would this matter?

Have you considered a couple of steel dowels to bridge the break prior to gluing/brazing

Rhyolith":2x6av5am said:

The Loctite is meant to hold bushings or pins in a hole. It isn't going to work on your broken crank. I doubt structural epoxy like the JB Weld, Devcon, Araldite and Scotch Weld will hold up to use either. Adding pins to the epoxy may work for a little while but there isn't much material to work with to align and drill. If you can remove the wooden handle Silver Braze/Solder will hold as will Tig welding by someone very experienced with cast iron welding.

Pete

Inspector":hirmib3h said:
Rhyolith":hirmib3h said:

The Loctite is meant to hold bushings or pins in a hole. It isn't going to work on your broken crank. I doubt structural epoxy like the JB Weld, Devcon, Araldite and Scotch Weld will hold up to use either. Adding pins to the epoxy may work for a little while but there isn't much material to work with to align and drill. If you can remove the wooden handle Silver Braze/Solder will hold as will Tig welding by someone very experienced with cast iron welding.

Pete
Well i would need someone to do this for me, i don't know anyone who could or would.

It looks unlikely to succeed to my eyes even if you can get a better epoxy than the stuff sold to the public.Brazing might work,if you can find somebody willing to do it.Welding definitely wont work.

Back