German silver, stainless steel and ebony

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klaus Kretschmar

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

we've made a fine joinery saw that is different to our usual ones. It has a spine of German silver instead of brass. The steelish colour of this alloy goes well with the SS screws and with the ebony handle as we find. The downside is the difficult slotting of this alloy. Our machinist refuses to do this any more at .012 slots since he messed up a few bits while slotting it. So this saw probably will be one of three.

It's a 10" saw pitched at 18 tpi rip.

P1040791.jpg

P1040792.jpg

P1040793.jpg

P1040794.jpg

P1040795.jpg

P1040796.jpg

P1040799.jpg

This saw will have its shop in the UK.

Klaus

Wunderschön! That is one amazing looking saw =P~

That's a saw I would buy. Love the look. Best looking boutique-made saw I believe I've ever seen. The aesthetics leave nothing to be desired. Bet she cuts great too!

Hello,

You are going to have to find someone who can slot the spines, or else retire from saw making forever. There is no way these can be the last (and first) three saws like this ever. Once you have the perfect looking saw, more are going to be requested, I have no doubt. It is stunning.

Mike.

That looks like a presentation saw - the sort of thing given to someone when they're elected Chairman of a Guild or similar.

Usable, in fact excellent, but possibly destined not to be used.

(the presentation swords in Leeds Armoury are stunning pieces of craftsmanship, and (even better)
have never killed anybody)

BugBear

Mesmerisingly beautiful, probably the most beautiful saw I've ever seen, it looks more like a surgical instrument than a woodworking tool. Beyond question Klaus, you are a very fine craftsman indeed.

=D>

And that's a pretty special piece of Ebony too. Is that straight from the blank, or was there some special finishing to get such an extremely uniform shade of black?

Thanks a lot for all these appreciated comments, Gentlemen!

custard":1lngi9ny said:
And that's a pretty special piece of Ebony too. Is that straight from the blank, or was there some special finishing to get such an extremely uniform shade of black?

We are working with rather dark Gaboon ebony. But it still shows grain and some brown figure. To get the black deep, the handle gets one layer of blue pigmented poppy oil before the sanding work will be finished. We show it here (just scroll down to the part, where the sanding will be shown):

http://two-lawyers-toolworks.blogspot.d ... -sich.html

Klaus

bugbear":1dz5ytpy said:
That looks like a presentation saw - the sort of thing given to someone when they're elected Chairman of a Guild or similar.

Usable, in fact excellent, but possibly destined not to be used.
BugBear

Hi BugBear,

Pedder and I are very happy, that this saw will be owned by a true craftsman who certainly will give it an extensive use. That's what it was made for 8)

Klaus

Just been through your saw-making blog - what a fantastic process
Are they just done on individual commission or do you have a 'shop' of sorts?
My congratulations - truly wonderful work

rxh":3sx855vi said:
Excellent. Has Jimi seen it?

Not yet, but he will ;)

Beautiful work Klaus and Pedder - stunning mix of materials, and Pedder's blades cut amazingly. Too good to use?? I very think not!!

gasman":3c56qmiw said:
Just been through your saw-making blog - what a fantastic process
Are they just done on individual commission or do you have a 'shop' of sorts?
My congratulations - truly wonderful work

Thank you, Gasman.
Pedder and I make saws on a very small base. It's a very little side business with a low number of saws per year. But each and every saw is bespoke to the customers handsize and to his wishes. So our saws while looking equal at the first glance are rather unique. We make different types of saws as you can spot by visiting our below mentioned blog.

Klaus

Back