FREE Fine good quality Sharpening Stones.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrDavidRoberts

Established Member
Reaction score
I was looking for a way to get the ultimate edge, still working towards it..however.. I wanted to buy some Fine 6k grit stones,until I saw someone selling SLATE sharpening stones in various Fancy Names & various fancy prices,reviews seemed good as well! Right there and than I knew where I can get them myself without paying crazy prices (Or in fact nothing at all) - Tile shops! If you are feeling generous,purchase large single tiles,or just get the free samples..

This is my current stash, get some that are Honed and you won't need to do it yourself, However you still need a way to Lap them to get the most out of them , some turned out excellent, some not so much,some I haven't got around to honing so haven't tested yet- So just get various samples.
3 of them turned out to be excellent and compared to my sandpapers came around 4000/5000 and one around 10k grit! The purple one was specially really nice one.
A great way to get some fine stones for someone who has 0 budget, they are a bit slow cutting , but being free can't really complain.
With the money saved, I will now purchase an Usb Microscope to see the actual edge I'm getting from these.

tt.jpg

during my apprenticeship, i was working on replacing wooden guttering with my boss, and during the fit he would sharpen his chisels on a roof slate to save time going up/down the scaffold,

Back