Fixing to walls with 'dot & dab' plasterboard ...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeeElms

Established Member
Reaction score
How do I make solid fixings into walls constructed with plasterboard fixed with the 'dot & dab' method over some kind of blockwork ? The depth of the gap between the plasterboard and the blockwork means that normal fixings are too short to make a solid fixing into the blockwork, but the gap isn't enough for most kinds of cavity fixings to work. And, preferably, not too expensive per fixing ...

I use the plastic plasterboard fixings and cut the end off, it's only the treaded part that is needed.

In the past if hanging something a bit on the heavy side (radiator) on a wall like this I've basically do it a simular way to what chisel said and the radiator has not moved at all and is rock solid

I would simply use ordinary wall plugs but knock them through the plasterboard using the screw and a hammer until they are right into the hole in the block. Then carry on as usual using longer screws than normal to allow for the thickness of the plasterboard and the gap.

Incidentally, I prefer to use red plugs in a 5.5mm hole but with 10's screws instead of the normal 8's

Cheers
Brad

what exactly are you fixing to the wall, you can hang some heavy gear on plasterboard useing threaded plaster screws, once screwed into the board ,the screw driver hole is threaded for a screw, in fact the screws come with them,theyve held a baby gate on the top of the stairs for years/ some of the kids think its great swinging out over the stairs,luckily enough the screws have held fine,

Back