First ever bowl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiscoStu

Established Member
Reaction score
I posted recently about carbide tools and I bought a small set (really for pens).

I'd tried to do bowls before but always had issues with catches and subsequent disasters.

Anyway I gave a bowl a go with the carbide tools and it went ok. Well I was quite pleased.

Let me know your thoughts

a73d51bd3131fd09daf351f60b24ff97.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That shape was never going to be easy for someone new to turning to get to grips with using bevel cutting gouges on the internals.
The Carbide tips have the advantage that they are cutting as a scraper or very nearly so, meaning that you are not at risk of getting the bevel contact wrong.

One serious disadvantage of using them on soft spalted and unreinforced material is that they usually result in lots of torn and pulled grain.
Sanding the result to try and eliminate that often results in uneven sunken hollows in the soft spots unless extreme care is taken with abrasive pressure.

Looks like you avoided both problems to any severe extent.

Congrats on getting your first bowl done. I've had a go with carbide tools and getting a clean cut with them is sometimes tricky. Have you seen any of Jimmy Clewes DVDs - lots of good advice on using bowl gouges and getting a good cut, and therefore a better shape. The sense of accomplishment with getting a finished bowl off the lathe is great, though. Well done!

To be honest the soft spalted material was just to hand and not what I'd tried before. I've got a bit of confidence now so will have a go at a few more. I mainly bought them for pen turning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I would rather keep to HSS tan use Carbide tools and Before anyone says anything I have a set. As Chas said they can cause grain tear out as you seem to have in a couple of places. Having said that for a first bowl a good effort which can only get better

You have done well, that shape especially the transition going down inside and onto the bottom is difficult to do, Leastwise it is for me with my Crown 1/2 bowl gouge with a straight standard 45 degree bevel.

I I shine we al struggle with spates wood.
After a while you will be able to judge if you can:
carry on
Reinforce the soft bits..... I use CA
Or just sling the half finished job as a waste of time

Back