Finishing Small Birch Ply Parts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidJHolmes

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have some smallish parts that I would like to stain and finish to a smooth finish. What's the best method and products for this as stains I've bought in the past leave brush marks or build up on the edges. I'd like to get a consistent coat all the way round with a smooth finish so maybe a clearcoat after? Is a wipe on stain better than brushing? Although I don't think I've seen a wipe on product in B&Q. Some of the parts move so smoother the better really.

I have good results on birch ply with wax, which would also give you the smoothness you require. I paint the parts with milk paint and then clear wax, but you could just use a coloured wax. I also do some parts with just matt Osmo and no colouring, which also gives a good finish. Osmo is very easy to apply and goes for miles.

Stain can be either wiped on or brushed on if you want to use that, but i find most stains artificial looking personally.

skipdiver":25kko4u8 said:
I have good results on birch ply with wax, which would also give you the smoothness you require. I paint the parts with milk paint and then clear wax, but you could just use a coloured wax. I also do some parts with just matt Osmo and no colouring, which also gives a good finish. Osmo is very easy to apply and goes for miles.

Stain can be either wiped on or brushed on if you want to use that, but i find most stains artificial looking personally.

Thanks, I've never heard of milk paint. I'll look it up. I didn't think about waxes, are they durable?

I don't apply the wax in the conventional way. I thin it down with white spirit and apply with a brush. I then buff it with a pine drill brush in my pillar drill. It gives a nice finish but i'm not sure on the durability. I suppose that depends on how much wear the parts get.

Milk paint is a powder that you mix yourself and takes some experimentation to get the depth of finish you want. It can be applied thinly, so the grain shows through or built up to obliterate the surface. It comes in many colours but is basically just paint, so not a wood grained effect as such. Depends what sort of look you are after. A coloured wax may be more appropriate.

if you are using wax, you will need to seal the timber somehow. In the example above, the paint acts as a sealer. If you are just using wax, it will sink into the timber and look dull quickly. Using a sanding sealer underneath is a better option.

Any oil based poly can be diluted with white spirit and wiped on. About 50 /50 works well. You may need a second or even third coat depending on circumsatnces.

I use Poly-X on birch ply straight out of the tin without any prep other than a light sanding. Poly-X is ace stuff and a small tin goes for miles.

Back