Favourite turning timber

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Robinia, Laburnum and Judas Wood.
The first because you can get a beautiful irridescent finish, Laburnum because its beautifully consistent, finishes beautifuly and Judas Wood because of the glorious shades of green and brown.

Hates - Plastic. Yuch. Plastic was supposed to be moulded not turned. Smells disgusting makes a mess.

Neil Farrer":72jysh7z said:
The first because you can get a beautiful irridescent finish, Laburnum because its beautifully consistent, finishes beautifuly and Judas Wood because of the glorious shades of green and brown.

Hates - Plastic. Yuch. Plastic was supposed to be moulded not turned. Smells disgusting makes a mess.
What no Latin Neil LOL

I shall have to put a few on my list of ones to try then, the apple and cherry sound good. :)

I quite like the small of Polyester as it happens, don't like turning it that much though.

woodyturner":1qneq9w1 said:
Neil Farrer":1qneq9w1 said:

What no Latin Neil LOL

Woody, - If you insist - Robinia Pseudoacacia, Laburnum anagyroides, and Cercis Silaquestrum. Now do you feel better?!!

Neil Farrer":9us2mh64 said:
woodyturner":9us2mh64 said:
Neil Farrer":9us2mh64 said:

What no Latin Neil LOL

Woody, - If you insist - Robinia Pseudoacacia, Laburnum anagyroides, and Cercis Silaquestrum. Now do you feel better?!!
That's the Neil I know I thought you wernt well or something LOL

No one's mentioned Anjan, Mgrure, pink ivory or African blackwood yet as favourites. Expensive and not easy to find but a treat to turn. Hawthorn too is nice and of course boxwood & holly.

I like turning hornbeam but it's very bland to look at unless spalted.

I don't like kiln dried oak, or ash, very much as has been said before. Air-dried is a whole different story.

Jon

Neil Farrer":ja6k7wby said:

Or, to be really pedantic, R. pseudoacacia and C. silaquestrum. The specific name should begin lower case. And conventionally, the whole name is written in italics

(that's what a career writing sciency stuff does for you) :(

chipmunk":d18siu1q said:
No one's mentioned Anjan, Mgrure, pink ivory or African blackwood yet as favourites. Expensive and not easy to find but a treat to turn. Hawthorn too is nice and of course boxwood & holly.

I like turning hornbeam but it's very bland to look at unless spalted.

I don't like kiln dried oak, or ash, very much as has been said before. Air-dried is a whole different story.

Jon

Used a tiny bit of African blackwood for a teacher pen the other day, didn't 'excite' me that much, probably too small to get a decent feel from.

If you get chance to buy a clarinet bell blank, give it a whirl - It will take threads, is perfect for boxes especially if you can accent it with some pewter and finials.

You need sharp tools, the black stains your hands and it niffs a bit (like all true rosewoods) but the finish is simply fabulous - finish your sanding off with 0000 wire wool.

HTH
Jon

To revive an old thread....

Just finishing the outside of a Padauk bowl...

Seriously thinking about never turning the inside. I look like I've been Tango'd.

I quite like the smell, but THE FRIGGIN MESS... OMG.

Back