Faithfull no3 finishing plane review

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dynax

Established Member
Reaction score
This one i think must be from an earlier batch, there is no storage box or case for this one,
the casting is reasonable but the sole is pretty much flat across the width but there is a slight hollow on the length,
it did take shavings with no fettling but not very well,but a quick hone did produce some better ones,and has the same engraving on the chip breaker regarding the grinding angle so that's good,
it is narrower and the iron is 45mm wide,
for it's size it has some weight and is solidly built,
the front handle has the same problem screw being proud, took a few minutes with a file to sort that out to get it nice a flush and smooth, but both have the same dull finish as the no5,
there is also frog adjustment which was a surprise on this one,
there is not much left to say really and with some fettling will be fine to use,
i would give this a 6/10 due to the feeling it maybe older stock and that there is no case to store it in.

From what I've noticed, all the cheaper planes seem to be hollow in the length. Not an issue on a #3, some 60 grit and you'll be sorted. However a bad #7.....

Does anyone want or need a shiny handle? I stripped and linseeded mine.
It's probably easier to counterbore the holes than refinish the nuts.
I have an SDS drill in a case because of the necessary paraphernalia that's necessary to use with it, and a biscuit cutter in a case because it's comparatively fragile - nothing else I've ever bought has been put back in its case. Not once. Seriously - does anyone put planes in cases?

At least the sole was flatter than my example - 6 thou concave - it would barely plane at all as supplied!

Another fault with mine was that the back of the frog bore not on the sole casting, but on the flange of the adjuster screw, so the frog casting seated on a line contact along it's front edge, but not at all at the back. I turned about a millimetre off the OD of the adjuster screw flange, so the frog casting does now seat on the machined face of the sole casting.

Also, all the screw fits were sloppy, and the blade was pretty average. It takes an edge and it works, but it's not as good an edge holder as a standard Record iron.

All in all, it's a kit of parts from which a reasonable plane can be made with a fair bit of fettling. Not bad for the price, but not even close to a decent tool straight from the box. The best bit is the handles - nicely shaped, and not finished with plasticy goop.

phil.p":3n3mh909 said:
Does anyone want or need a shiny handle? I stripped and linseeded mine.
I refinished mine. With varnish. So, yes :D

It's probably easier to counterbore the holes than refinish the nuts.
I'd saw a bit off the rod. Even a junior hacksaw is up to the task and it's surprising how fast it goes.

Seriously - does anyone put planes in cases?
Cases are irrelevant to me too (for bench planes). They're nice for a present giver I suppose, much less useful for the recipient of a user tool.

I wouldn't mind a case for a combination plane and would probably permanently house one in its case if I had one, but that's very different obviously.

Cheshirechappie":10671fao said:
...the blade was pretty average. It takes an edge and it works, but it's not as good an edge holder as a standard Record iron.
I've not used a Record iron so can't compare to that but my Faithfull's iron has the dimple from hardness testing and its edge retention compares very favourably to the handful of Stanley irons that have passed through my hands.

Unfortunately this signifies how much these vary, the common issue with cheaper offerings on the market.

dynax":266fofjc said:
...i would give this a 6/10 due to the feeling it maybe older stock and that there is no case to store it in.
I don't think the case is relevant when assessing a plane. Otherwise even Clifton, Lie-Neilsen and Veritas planes would have to be marked down, as they come in cardboard packaging. IMHO it is better that manufacturers concentrate on the quality of the working plane, rather than on accessories of value only to those who are storage challenged (which is usually a temporary thing) and to collectors*.

Cheers, Vann.

* Being partly a user, but also partly a collector of some second-hand planes, I make storage boxes for planes that are collected or seldom used. These are all made to the same footprint and stackable - so a manufacturer's box would only be a pain anyway.

phil.p":215yx5kr said:
If the nut is seated to the bottom of the thread and the rod to the bottom of its threaded hole (which has been in my experience), there's no point in cutting the rod down.
Yes. Take the handle off, pop the nut in the hole by itself and if it's still proud then no point in shortening the rod as it's not at fault.

But IME the usual cause is that the rod is fractionally too long (either at time of manufacture or due to shrinkage of the wood) or occasionally that there are too many washers in the bottom of the counterbore. If that last one is the cause getting them out can be a right palaver!

Back