Extraction options for small workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorrisR

Reaction score
Hi folks,

This is my first post and even for a newbie I realise there is already a lot on here about dust extraction! I’ve read an awful lot of what has already been posted which has been a huge help in trying to narrow down what I need (and don’t need) in terms of extraction. I was hoping to get people’s views on a shortlist of options I’ve identified for a new setup.

I am in the process of setting up my first workshop in a single garage (5.3m x 3m). Previously I have only been using power tools (sander/plunge saw/router etc) and have been using a Festool vac for extraction, a 3M 7500 face mask and a Jet air filter to try to control dust that escapes. I will continue to use this setup for the power tools. However, I am just about to take delivery of a smallish table saw and a P/T – both with 100mm extraction ports. I therefore need to invest in a chip extractor but want to try to also control dust from those machines as well as I can within my budget of c.£500. I may also need to use the chip extractor for a router table in the future.

My set up will enable me to move the saw and P/T to the extractor (or vice versa) so duct runs will be short and simple (no blast gates, sharp bends or junctions). Unfortunately there is no chance of the extractor being housed outside or vented outside – not enough space and a residential area.

It seems to me that the best filtration I can hope to get from a machine capable of extracting from the saw and P/T is 1 micron (ie not the stuff which really does us the damage) so I will need to continue to wear a mask as well, whatever set up I go for. The shortlist I have is as follows with the pros and cons as far as I can see them – based on people’s advice on other threads:

Axminster Hobby Series FM300BC with Filter Cartridge

Pros
• Enough power – 1500W/2hp
• Plenty of airflow – 2000m3/hr
Cons
• Won’t filter anything below 1 micron

Axminster Trade Series CT-90H

Pros
• More compact than FM300BC
• Possibly more robust than FM300BC? (Trade rather than Hobby series)
Cons
• Won’t filter anything below 1 micron
• Possibly underpowered? – 750W/1hp especially if I subsequently fit an intermediate cyclone – see below
• Possibly too little airflow for the P/T – 850m3/hr

Camvac CGV286-3-WALL

I appreciate that this is very different to the two Axminster machines above but it appears to offer a solution which controls fine dust better while coping with chips from static machines.
Pros
• Claims to filter down to 0.5 microns
• Plenty of power – 2000W/2.7hp
Cons
• Possibly too little airflow, especially for the P/T – 390m3/hr
• Noisy (although the homemade silencers mentioned on another thread for Camvac machines appear to work well)

As mentioned above, I note a number of posters suggest using an intermediate cyclone and that is something I may consider in the future if I find the filters clog too quickly or the bags fill too quickly. I therefore need to consider something that will be powerful enough to cope with a cyclone between the machine and the extractor.

Any thoughts on the above options and assumptions would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Norris

If you want the best protection from dust wear a mask, look up p1 p2 and p3 standards for dust masks. An extractor won't catch it all, some dust will still escape from the machine and not go into the extractor at all. Don't get too hung up on microns.

Have you come across startrite/record power extractors? They seem to be the best value.

Hi Norris,

I can give you some experience to a point with both of the axminster machines you mentioned.

I originally ordered the FM300BC to go with my axminster aw10 table saw, and got it all built and hooked up but it was just too big and awkward for my space (4x3m cabin) I just couldn't get things positioned right so I ended up switching it to the second machine the CT90 which I was a little dubious about as the table saw said it needed 1000m3/H but the guys at axi said not to worry about it.

So far it's doing an admirable job, had it about 8 months just hooked up to the saw, however I placed an order to upgrade my dust collection so I can hook up my new planet and thicknesser next week so if you can wait I can give you some feed back on those too and how it copes with being hooked up to a few machines with blast gates eye.

Like previously said, I wouldn't get too hung up on dust size, for all it catches it doesn't get everything but it's a good little machine and it's nice it hooks on the wall, let's me store a bunch of toolboxes stacked below it.

Having previously had a Camvac I have to say that my experience was that it simply could not cope with my planer thicknesser. It was also horrendously noisy so gave me the worst of all worlds.

I woud urge you to invest in decent extraction otherwise you will end up buying twice, as I did. I now have an expensive fully ducted cyclone system which is great at dust and chips. This would be way beyond your current budget but the inclusion of a cyclone stage would be a real step in the right direction. My conclusion based on hard experience is that you should no more skimp on extraction than you would on the machinery it serves, which means spending similar money to that you are spending on a primary machine. Investment in your personal health is always money well spent in the long term.

I can't comment on the products you mention other than the Camvac bedcause I have no experience of them. Good luck with the new workshop, I get endless enjoyment from mine.

Jim

I have the FM300BC and it works very well. I have it set up with metal ductiing and aluminium blast gates on three machines. Keep the diameter as wide as possible for as long as possible. I have a 3m long 150mm length that runs one side of the workshop, with 100mm hoses feeding off it. Try and minimise the use of coil hose as this introduces drag.

It's very powerful and works very well for the money, but it is quite big.

Buy your metal ducting from ductstore, really good value

Hth, Phil

Many thanks to everyone who has replied, much appreciated and very helpful.

Copes - I would be really interested to hear how you get on with the CT90 extracting from your P/T. Glad it's already working well for your saw.

Phil - thanks for the tip on ductstore - I will definitely check them out.

Cheers

Norris

Latest posts

Back