Edgebanders

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigybaby

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am new to this site so this is my first post,I am currently looking to buy a brand new hot melt edgebander for my workshop and wondered if anyone has any recommendations?

I am looking for a small entry level hot melt edgebander and have been looking at the SCM minimax ME20 0r ME25,Also the Robland KM500 model.

Any advice would be great,I do have a SCM sliding table saw so i am leaning towards the SCM only for OCD purposes!

Thanks Craig

Craig,
The Robland are good ( but made by Cehisa in Spain) ,minimax are always excellent, also worth looking at the small Felder and Casadei Industria ones too... they all have good points. Some will accept more options than others (glue scraping, edge scraping, buffing, premill etc) ...track feed is better than the belt system if you have space and budget.
Paul

Hi Paul.

Thanks for the reply, my problem is space at the moment i have a 8 meter space left in my workshop after i filled it up with my 3.2 meter sliding panel saw,i have a budget of £10k-£12k inc vat for the machine so i could afford the next size up from the ones i have been looking at,i only edge 18mm mfc board and don't think i would use the abs 2mm edging just the standard 0.8.

Between the minimax and the casadei what would you recommend?

What type of warranty comes with the new machines Paul?

Thanks Craig

I started with a minimax ME15 hot air, worked ok but had it's issues. I wouldn't recommend an air system.
I now have a casadei K330 hot melt, this has been great. like you I thought I wouldn't use 2mm but now find I do as much 2mm as 0.4mm.
All edgebanders are extremely tempermental, probably the most complicated machine in the workshop but eventually you get to know them inside out. Mine is a base model, next one will have scrapers and buffers.

I've also recently just taken the step into an edgebander. My work hasn't required it often in the past and so I've not stuck my toe is this pond before. I have taken the root of buying a very 'good value' secondhand hot air bannder to get familiar with what I like about it and what I don't before investing in the 'real' machine. For me it's a good investment, I can play with it and work out what features I actually do want rather than get sold on by a brochure. At the end of the day, when it's time to make the 'real investment' the 'good value' machine will yield more than I paid for it either through eBay, this site or as a trade in.......although at the moment for what I do, it's slight limitations would nit justify an upgrade!

The hot air system is rather good I've found so far, and for what you describe as your needs Im not certain what additional advantages a hot melt system brings apart form consumable costs if your doing miles of the stuff.

So the things I've found so far!
Need a big heater for consistent temperature with a fast temperature sensor to avoid too much hysteresis in the temperature.
Getting the trimmers setup accurately is a pain. A course, fine and superfine adjustment is a good idea.
Preset angles of the blades is also nice as well as having variable angles. I seem to only use 8 degrees however.
The top and bottom trimmers need plenty of extraction,
Standard easily available Carbide replacement tips on the trimmers.
Siimply and easy access to the trimmers for cleaning pays big dividends. The removed edging sticks to everything and anything and affects the followers that ensure perfect alignment with the board being edged.
Powerful easily adjusted front and back trimmers. Knives that are easy to remove for sharpening / replacement.
Easily removable rollers for cleaning.
Cheap off the shelf bearings used in all of the rollers as they get full of glue after a short time and need replacing frequently to keep the machine working optimally. For me, ideally I would like a complete spare set of rollers and just swap them out every week providing the time to clean / replace bearings as necessary.

That's my list so far to compare any new machine against.

Machines are fairly simple, but are not easy to get to work optimally as already stated.

I have a hot air startright machine at the moment but its vey temperamental,i have got busier than ever of a late and now have to take the plunge to go to the hot melt side of edgebanding!

My friend has got a big Holzher automatic edgebander that i currently send my cut board over for him to edge for me but he's got a huge kitchen factory and big pockets so he doesn't know much about little edgebanders.

Craig,
You need to consider double the length of the longest board plus the length of the track when measuring up .. All the new machine have 1 year warranty... we tend to sell more of the casadei as the prices are a little better than the minimax - they have been manufacturing this type of machine for years. They have been copied by lots of Chinese and manufactured the original minimax machines for SCM and they still manufacture blue ones for a company who's name can not be mentioned, to a slightly different specification. The E321 is the newer version of the K320 / K321..with a glue pot. The k330 was discontinued and replaced by the E450, but this is a track fed machine and just over the 10k mark.
Hope this helps!
Paul

Hi guys
I looking for a edge bander but portable. I do kitchen make overs. And sometimes got to retape the compete kitchen .
Been looking around but nothing to put the
tape on when the cabinets are put together .
Any help thanks john

jt100":2plkandi said:
Hi guys
I looking for a edge bander but portable. I do kitchen make overs. And sometimes got to retape the compete kitchen .
Been looking around but nothing to put the
tape on when the cabinets are put together .
Any help thanks john

Hi John,

I think you will struggle to find anything that does that type of job,im afraid its the iron and a file job as you would not be able to run a virutex double trimmer on a assembled unit.

craig

jt100":3hbuiomr said:
Thanks for the reply
That what I thought it's a pain in the ass
Cheers
John

I know you can get the peal and stick woodgrain and gloss finish for end panels etc instead of putting plant on edges now John,i don't know if you knew this?

Craig

John you might be interested in a festool edgebander, or just get preglued tape and an iron its cheaper

Meant to say I use a festiol in work, it works well but expensive although I didn't pay for it

Back