Dust extractor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YorkieT

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Can anyone recommend me a dust / chip extractor for use on the lathe and bandsaw please.
I use a single garage as my workshop so nothing too big or noisy if at all possible.
I do have a microclene filter that hangs from the ceiling when I am sanding on the lathe but feel I need some else as I can sense the dust in my throat.

YorkieT":m47qwb1l said:
..... but feel I need some else as I can sense the dust in my throat.
Some good PPE for starters. Shop air cleaners do little to protect you whilst you are filtering the same air with your lungs in parallel.

To capture dust from a lathe whilst sanding needs a large volume of air with as much encapsulation as you can manage to funnel the airflow past the work-piece and entrap the dust.

The simplest solution is a 100mm inlet fine filter canister extractor, unfortunately they come with the penalty of high operating noise. Typical budget version

The alternate which is very effective if you can locate the extractor outside the workshop is a low cost large volume airflow (HVLP) chip extractor with coarse filter bag, this gives maximum airflow and the dust it sheds is to outside air.
something like this or a little bigger motor fitted with a home made coarse fabric filter bag can double the airflow, mine will happily suck up a 75mm cube of wood if I'm not careful, I have to fit wire grill on inlet if working small objects to prevent them or sanding strips being inducted.

Thanks for the recommendations, I do have decent PPE but must admit I have been reluctant to use it in the hot weather but after feeling the after effects of the dust that won't be happening again!
It was the double bag type of machine I was thinking of but can't site it outside unfortunately.

YorkieT":17i916mq said:
...It was the double bag type of machine I was thinking of but can't site it outside unfortunately.

Then to be of any useful level of fine dust control I think you will need to go to the expense of one fitted with a large cartridge filter unit and plastic receiver instead of a filter bags, none of the felt bags go down fine enough for personal safety.
This sort of thing But Model, supply source etc. is down to your budget and personal preferences.

CHJ":3pql0s8n said:
YorkieT":3pql0s8n said:
...It was the double bag type of machine I was thinking of but can't site it outside unfortunately.

Then to be of any useful level of fine dust control I think you will need to go to the expense of one fitted with a large cartridge filter unit and plastic receiver instead of a filter bags, none of the felt bags go down fine enough for personal safety.
This sort of thing But Model, supply source etc. is down to your budget and personal preferences.

Thanks for taking the time to answer, very useful :wink:

Back