Do you use what you make?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dynax

Established Member
Reaction score
Having watched a few hours worth on turning, it got me thinking if people actually used the items they make, mainly stuff like bowls and goblets, i know they won't last a lifetime but isn't that the purpose of turning a bowl for example, to use it until it no longer functions then turn another to replace it, or is it more for a decorative display that it's for,

I use this fruit bowl....

100_6246.jpg

... and I use this pencil holder every single day (it does have a turned piece on it).

sparta1.jpg

Both use and display, some in-use items are 12 yrs old and used daily.

Fruit bowls and Beech salad serving and eating bowls never wear out, the latter may have had an oil refresh every 2-3 yrs but that's it.

Candle holders, Vases, Trinket boxes, Pencil holders, the list goes on, very difficult to wear wood out in normal daily home use.

Naz, love the pencil holder,
thanks Chas, what finish would you usually use, danish,tung,or a hard wax, and how do they stand up to being washed,cheers,

dynax":2u7xywbl said:
thanks Chas, what finish would you usually use, danish,tung,or a hard wax, and how do they stand up to being washed,cheers,

This Bowl was finished in Cellulose sanding sealer and Woodwax22 in 2005, it's had one referb. coat of wax about 2 yrs. ago.
Bowl from2005.jpg

The pencil holder and cocktail stick holder etc. are from Circa 2011 and finished the same as above., The small fruit bowl is finished in several coats of Melamine enhanced lacquer because it often has soft fruit in it that can start leaking.
from 2011.jpg

Finishing wax is more likely to be Carnauba or Microcrystalline wax these days because they are more resistant to handling but soft wax is fine for display items that are not handled a great deal and likely to have the Bees Wax content melt at hand temperature.

I use oils, plain Food Safe for 'Wet Salad' Bowls, just wipe with damp cloth or swill under cold tap, no soap or detergent.
Hard wax oil for stuff that I think will get more physical abuse and the odd indoor moisture exposure.
Finishing Oil (Danish oil) I use for stuff going outside to add a bit of water resistance. (I'm too impatient to wait for it to cure for most indoor jobs)

Attachments

• Bowl from2005.jpg
    Bowl from2005.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 977
  • from 2011.jpg
    from 2011.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 977
I suspect that if people were entirely honest they'd say that some of the product of their lathe-time ends up keeping them warm. :)

I have one or two pieces which we use in the house I tend to not make many bowl for the home as the wife has a habit of using them for storage of little knick knacks

MikeG.":275of6e7 said:
I suspect that if people were entirely honest they'd say that some of the product of their lathe-time ends up keeping them warm. :)

Mike I can honestly say that none of my work ends up keeping me warm, someone else maybe but not enough to last very long. There is a piece on the lathe that was very close to being firewood

MikeG.":lmw3d04b said:

All my dust, small offcuts and shavings go into small cardboard boxes from frozen and prepacked food - a quick squiggle of hot melt to close the boxes and I've got fuel bricks. Gets rid of the shavings and the boxes. :D

i'm half tempted to get something cheap and cheerful just to get something turned and then get the w824 later in the year,

A few bowls are in constant use; a Yew nut bowl, an Elm [IIRC] coin/key bowl [my son's], bangle and tazza were challenge entries and they get used. Other stuff is decorative either at home or gifted.
My output is so low [turning is 'as required' now] that I wouldn't burn anything.
Having said that I do keep offcuts barely larger than sawdust :roll: :lol:

Back