DIY Panel Clamp

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTeroo

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking some panel clamps would be a useful thing to have and looking around an internet I came across this

644-DIY-Panel-Clamps.jpg

What is your opinion on this design? Anything better out there? DIY type

Here is the page with the instructions

http://woodarchivist.com/644-diy-panel-clamps/

They look effective enough,but a bit complicated for my taste.I have used a much simpler device;two strips of 9mm ply,longer than the panel is wide,two spacer blocks a smidgeon thicker than the panel is thick and a softwood wedge to drive into the gap left at the edge to tighten things up.After a few years of this I started picking up bargain sash cramps and haven't looked back.

I have used these and I think it's as simple as you can get. Scrap timber, battens screwed on, folding wedges to tighten. They work well.

IMG_3749_zpswtpk38fw.jpg

IMG_3750_zpsf7i2dvhc.jpg

very time intensive to make, and also very fragile. look at the pegs that are pulled tight, the grain will give way and those pegs will pull off very quickly.

+1 to what Bob said about the one shown. If you really want something like that a sawtooth cut would be better. I think I have a design from the 19th century somewhere if you want.

Thanks for the replies, keep it simple it is then :)

Andy, if it is no trouble and you think it is worthwhile, I wouldn't mind seeing that?

Don't worry if you can't locate it.

AndyT":1l03s9sj said:
I have used these and I think it's as simple as you can get. Scrap timber, battens screwed on, folding wedges to tighten. They work well.

What prevents the boards rising up at the join?
I imagined a panel clamp would work like a caul?

Here you are Mr Teroo, the whole article. Actually from 1902, so a bit modern... however, it does give you the sort Worn Thumbs was describing as well.

1902cramps_zpsfi4rssuw.jpg

As for the wood rising up, well, it depends on the thickness of the wood and how much pressure you need to put on. If it does need holding down, here's my simple solution, from the same project as the previous pictures, though this time I'm also using cast iron heads on wooden bars, which is another economical option. (I was joining some thin cedar for drawer bottoms.)

IMG_3852_zpsh0psbffc.jpg

Thank you. I will keep my eyes on eBay, see if I can pick up a couple of those special bottle shaped clamps.

:D

It would be well worth a rummage on www.bookfinder.com for a copy of "The Resourceful Woodworker" or "Making Woodwork Aids and Devices" both by Robert Wearing. It's only worth buying one or the other since they have a lot of content in common, but both are a treasure trove of useful devices and dodges; cramping is a subject well covered, including several types of panel cramp.

Back