Did I cause this?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D_W

Established Member
Reaction score
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 1444381592

Bit egotistical, and perhaps it wasn't me, but I made a couple of videos extolling the virtues of the late type Stanley planes, and lately, they sell for funny money. I smoothed my ash bench with one of these and they do have soft irons (rounded tops and us made seems to be soft), so the high prices they're fetching is curious.

You're so vain,
You probably think this post is about you,
You're so vain :lol:

DW I have no idea, it could sell here for £50 just as easily. A friend paid £35 for a stinker a few months ago.

It's all Paul Sellars fault, everytime he re-blogs about the anything wood tool related the price shoots up. Yeah he can brag about getting x y and z for tu'ppence. But what about the rest of us, eh? By the time my dial up d/ls the fleabay homepage, they've already trebled in price and that's just for the things shadow as it's already gone. Yeah I've noticed, he nevers waxes lyrical about something and then tries to buy it a few days latter not he's sneaky he is. Does a nice turn in videos though
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

people in the UK (ie not DW!) have got no cause to moan about the price of Record and Stanley no 4s on ebay - looking at the recently sold ones they typically go for around 20 quid and can be frequently got for a tenner. Even if Sellers had been responsible for several of hundred % inflation over the past few years, he has only cost you a few pounds. Not much for a tool that will last you a lifetime...

it could be sellers. Actually, the reason I was scoping out that plane is because I have one just like it that I really like, but I replaced the iron with one I made. I also have a record 4 SS and a LN 4 (which I forgot about last night). I'd like to replace the SS with another stanley, as I have the urge to make a couple more irons, but I had to settle for older planes (and ordered two so that I can keep the one that is smoother adjusting). I hear they are sometimes not flat, but I've figured out how to file planes just hollow and then lap them to less than 1 1/2 thousandths (useful for infills, but I'd like try it on a stanley plane).

I made a few videos talking about a blue stanley type 20, and it's not as though I have Sellers' pull - but I am dumb enough to talk something up and then go and try to buy it. When I do that on videos, I get several thousand viewers, and I'm sure few who act on any advice, but if it's ten people who do, it creates a problem on ebay.

I got a type 18 plane (complete) and a sweetheart type (complete) last night for $30 each plus shipping. I think the world has gone mad. Both of those usually have irons that do not need replacing.

I also ruined the market for washitas by tooting my horn about them repeatedly on shaving forums. Now questions about them come up almost weekly. shaving forums don't even need to say something is great, they just need to talk about it, and the pockets of the buyers are deeper than woodworkers. Perhaps I should go badmouth the SS planes on youtube now that I'm trying to dump one on ebay.

MikeG.":styeuwsc said:
Shaving forum? That's a thing? Really?

It is, but it's probably best to learn to use a straight razor and then go there rather than the converse. It's rather like tool forums where the paint by number schemes can be quite costly in lieu of learning a simple skill.

MikeG.":1105c3qj said:
Shaving forum? That's a thing? Really?
Imagine the sharpening threads there!

In my experience, there is a forum or community for just about everything out there and I'm grateful as I'm one of the societies oddballs lol.

nabs":bdrp84gd said:
people in the UK (ie not DW!) have got no cause to moan about the price of Record and Stanley no 4s on ebay - looking at the recently sold ones they typically go for around 20 quid and can be frequently got for a tenner. Even if Sellers had been responsible for several of hundred % inflation over the past few years, he has only cost you a few pounds. Not much for a tool that will last you a lifetime...

Nabs,
I beg to disagree, I can moan, for a large part of the last decade my annual income was less than £5K, so any increase had a major impact on what I could afford to buy and subsequently do using those tools to try to better my situation. Yes, I do understand social economics and how for the main part "sheeple" react. I mentioned Sellars as he has an effect on both sides of the pond. He has a school here and in the States, which has a very large following. Especially when you consider he was espousing all the same general arguments and benefits of hand tools as Schwarz etc but doing so for 20 years before Chris and his ilk were.

We should also bear in mind that, there is a distinct lack of manual/technical knowledge (a generalisation admittedly) among the younger generation (sub mid 40s) due to the loss of any real tool related teaching and us being a post industrial society, which means that anything preached by people perceived to be in the know has a much greater impact than it would have in the past.

D_W does indeed wax lyrical about stones on various forums and is regarded to know his onions by a fair few, as he backs up what he says with video evidence and that will have an effect on the value of these as the people follow his findings.

It just takes a half dozen people to be influenced by these "reviews" and they are all chasing the same items so the price will sky rocket as most wont stop until they have the tools and as they have deep pockets to dig into for their hobby...

Now I accept these effects as part of life, but I certainly have every right to moan about it, as it has an impact on me

the OP (typo on my part) D_W. No need for you to apologize Mike.

will edit and fix thanks

MikeG.":1mht8t3e said:
Yeah, yeah.....but it sounds like people know who the OP is. I don't.

Not many do. My point was that even with a small reach ,(I have a very small YouTube channel that focuses mostly on making and using double iron planes) you can ruin the market for something that shows up in small volume.

https://youtu.be/ErVeJtTf_Fg

I have taken some of my videos down, but in one I talked quite a bit about the hype of type 20 planes being worthless as bogus at best. Note the plane in the video, that's the one....My favorite.

At least Chris Schwartz didn't make a favorable blog post about one.

nabs":4uihf73v said:
people in the UK (ie not DW!) have got no cause to moan about the price of Record and Stanley no 4s on ebay - looking at the recently sold ones they typically go for around 20 quid and can be frequently got for a tenner.
Good condition one, or rusted up pile of junk?
Mine cost me £45.
Saw a whole bunch of 4s, 5s and ½s in an antique shop last week, about 70 including some manufacturers I'd not even heard of - Most were £22, but anything Stanley or Record was nearer the £50, even in bad condition.

Droogs":4uihf73v said:
It's all Paul Sellars fault, everytime he re-blogs about the anything wood tool related the price shoots up. Yeah he can brag about getting x y and z for tu'ppence. But what about the rest of us, eh?
You're not wrong. He even joked about it in one video.
Aldi chisels, £8 in shop... selling on eBay for £20 and tagged "As recommended by Paul Sellers". Seriously.
He's the reason why I still can't land a decent condition router plane for sensible money. I bid on a couple just the other day that were at £20, just like Paul buys all his for... Just to be absolutely sure, I bid £65, only to see them suddenly sell for over £80!!
At this rate a brand new Veritas one will be cheaper!

Tasky":1ca7k1yt said:
Good condition one, or rusted up pile of junk?
you can answer that question yourself by looking at sold (e.g) Record no 4s on ebay - all the ones for less that 30 quid that I just looked at seemed perfectly serviceable. Of course if you are not prepared to put in a bit of elbow grease and want a pristine one then you have to pay more.

Ha ha, I watched one of his videos and figured I could make use of a router plane. Was very surprised how much they were and haven't bought one!

he has another video on how to make an old woman's tooth router from a bit of gash pine and a chisel. This will only cost you £2 (for the chisel), so long as you don't buy your Aldi chisels from the same ebay shop tasky was on about :)

paulrockliffe":192nvqvk said:
Ha ha, I watched one of his videos and figured I could make use of a router plane. Was very surprised how much they were and haven't bought one!

You need a buddy from the states!

They're plentiful over here. I think I paid about $45 on average for two, and they were from tool dealers. Plenty of stuff that's cheaper over there, though.

Back