Creosote substitute

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Chapman

Established Member
Reaction score
I had to re-treat a fence today. In the past I've always used creosote because I reckon it's the best preservative for fences. However, as you can't buy it now for amateur use, I used creosote substitute (from B&Q). It seems very similar to the ordinary creosote. Does anyone know what the difference is?

Paul

just as a matter of interest i heared that creosote was used engine oil thinned down and filtered not sure if true or not

Don't believe it was,Shaun - but it was very common to use old engine oil as a wood preserver for fences/fence posts.
Paul - I've got some creosote substitute (called "creocote" :lol: - and in the same colour and size of packaging as the last lot of creosote I have left) and reading the label,it still sounds nasty stuff (e.g. keep away for 48 hours) but have yet to see how long it lasts.

Andrew

Creosote was made by distilling coal tar - the by-product from the coke oven. Although its demise whiffs of the nanny state, it was a pretty horrendous chemical cocktail to spread liberally around the environment

Ike

I`ve just finished slapping some on my main workshop, an 8`x16` shed, and my woodturning sh, err I mean my woodturning studio. It might be substitute, but it still pongs to high heaven. I done them both Wednesday afternoon and I absolutely reaked of the stuff. Went indoors, clothes in the wash, and a nice hot shower. After the shower I still smelt the stuff on me. Still some left in the plastic container after doing both workshops. I saw some cuprinol sprayable in my local B&Q, £10.88 a can. Creosote substitute, £4.50 a can. Smelly but cheaper.

Latest posts

Back