Cotswolds mini Bash - 14th July

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

:D There’s a mini bash deep in the Cotswolds, with the focus on turning:

Saturday 14th July

What's on offer? Turning big stuff, miniatures, pens... and a chance to 'have a go' plus share tips and experiences...

The venue can only accommodate a LIMITED NUMBER of people therefore the organisers reserve the right to restict numbers for reasons of comfort and safety...… if you’d like to attend send me a pm with your preferred date! ...pm now!

There’s a special place reserved for the first pen maker who has a portable lathe and would like to demo the technique to a friendly captive audience

About time I stuck my head over the wall on this one, although my name is Chas not Chad. (showing me age agin) *

Graham and I will be showing general turning as well as bobbins/miniatures, it’s an ideal opportunity to compare notes on techniques and get advice and/or just compare methods with myself and others and/or possibly demonstrate your pet techniques amongst friends. (I believe we already have a member coming who has some unusual turning techniques)

If you need guidance on particular tool use, then hopefully we will be able to go through the technique hands on.

There will be Three lathes in operation including a SIP mini lathe available for any pen turner who doesn’t have a portable lathe (contact Graham re mandrel MT size for the SIP).

Parking is free and readily available.

As Graham is co-ordinating the attendees please PM him if you are interested.

I will provide specific directions etc. nearer the time. Just in case anyone has not guessed the venue it's not a million miles from Cirencester or Stroud, (GL6), currently working on the catering manager to come up with suitable nibbles to go with the tea and coffee, there might be a drop of Stella or Bodies needing clearing out as well if it's a warm day.

* A Sample Link for the younger members amongst us.

Stop Press!

(courtesy of Chas)

Gill (the one with the scroll saw) will be bringing her Hegner saw... there was some mention of intarsia and scrollin and turning... (correct me if i'm wrong Gill :wink: )

Having had a scroll saw for around 5 years... and done nowt with it, I'm looking forward to picking up a few ideas...
(OK, any idea would be good :oops: )

Apparently you can combine lathes and scroll saws quite effectively, as these piccies show:

TulipBowl.jpg
3890d1178565263-pens1.jpg

The only trouble is, these ain't piccies of my work - I've never done any turning. Still, I've got a few weeks to get to grips with scrolling techniques that turners might find useful. If anyone has a particular issue they'd like me to cover, I'll try to sort it out on the day but it would be helpful if you could let me know in advance.

Finally - offcuts. These usually just get chucked away or used as fuel, but scrollers can often find uses for them. So bring them along and we'll see what can be done. If you get a chance to slice and edge laminate any offcuts into thin boards before the day, please do so because this sort of wood often makes super inlays.

Gill

Gill wrote
I've never done any turning.
Well Gill here is your chance to get some expert help :D
Nice work by the way. :D
Paul.J.

Gill":3ldbmvh1 said:
....snip....Finally - offcuts. These usually just get chucked away or used as fuel, but scrollers can often find uses for them. So bring them along and we'll see what can be done. If you get a chance to slice and edge laminate any offcuts into thin boards before the day, please do so because this sort of wood often makes super inlays.

Gill

You were saying :lol:
DSC02151%20(Small).JPG

You've got an awful lot of edge laminating ahead of you, Chas :lol: !

By the way, Paul, that's not my work; it's just a couple of examples of how other scrollers/turners I know have been able to integrate both styles of woodwork.

Gill

Gill":1xqi8bv8 said:
You've got an awful lot of edge laminating ahead of you, Chas :lol: !

Gill

And quite a few other chores that have accumulated whilst I've been playing in the shed. :roll:

hi Gill, thanks for the input... can you give some idea of how small an offcut may be and still be useful?

All I have to do now is work out how to be in two places at one time... turning in the garage and watching you in the conservatory :lol:

oldsoke":2lo8do37 said:
... can you give some idea of how small an offcut may be and still be useful?
It depends how much edge laminating you're prepared to do :) ! You can use off-cuts in other ways too, depending on the colour of the wood and the nature of the project. For example, in this example of an inlaid turned bowl, the designer has used some very small pieces of wood:

part_004.jpg

Gill

Yes Gill, for me these photos are like the oasis in the dessert :lol:

I aspire to do work like that but (a) I don't even have a scroll saw right now and (b) although I could probably rustle up the cash for a machine someone would have to tell me how to use it properly :oops:

Still, if you are comming to the mini bash maybe you can enlighten me :D

Oldsoke wrote
All I have to do now is work out how to be in two places at one time... turning in the garage and watching you in the conservatory
Well Graham it looks as though there will have to be some sort of timetable of events,so no one misses any demos.
Will be interesting to see Gills demo,and the pen making,and the flower making,and...............................
Paul.J.

We will just time table the coffee breaks so that demonstrators have a time to stand and stare at differing times. :lol:

I'm getting envious watching all this taking shape, timings no good for me, but GOOD LUCK! hope everything goes well on the day.

Thanks Tam, it's slowly building ...I'm even looking forward to it now :wink:

Bottomless coffee pot sounds good to me... (sorry Pete :lol: )

Latest posts

Back