Comatic AF32 Powerfeed Suitable For My Spindle Moulder

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pollys13

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a good price on the power feed but I think is too under powered at 240W. I have an Axminster WS100TA spindle, There is the Comatic AF308 at 375W , or even better the Comatic AF 34 at 1hp, I think the AF34 would be more suitable?
Cheers.

Not to worry, just bought on Ebay for £395 + £35 postage, item number 122248686326

iTech, 240volt single phase,1HP,Heavy Duty with stand,
" iTECH model SK-30FD, single phase, 240 volt, 1HP power feed. 60mm x 120mm dia. drive rollers.2 forward and 2 reverse speeds on the switch. 2 further forward and reverse speeds by reversing the cogs, making a total of 4 forward and 4 reverse. This is an industrial level machine. Purchased in 2005 (manufactured 2004) and used on a prototype woodworking machine I was developing. The final design used 3 phase power feeds and this has been in store unused since 2006. It was never used in a production environment and still has the original rollers. The horizontal bar was shortened during the development but has been professionally welded back to the original size. This is shown in the last image and I show it for honesty not for any other reason ( the functionality is as original) The reach is 210mm to 670mm as shown on the images. Supplied with user manual and template for fixing to your machine. Inspection welcome before you bid and returns accepted-see my 100% positive feedback. Delivery offered at cost or save this and pay on collection if you prefer. Weight, Stand 29 kg, Power Feed 27 Kg. Similar new machines advertised at £570-£670. "
I contacted seller a while back on another power feed but was 3 phase, he said he had another in same condition, single phase but no stand, this must be it. Peter Seftons spindle moulder training day tomorrow so should get quite a few tips on using the power feed.
Cheers...... Santa is being good to me :)

Have you talked it over with Axminster? They know their machines better than any of us, and they're generally honest brokers when it comes to giving unbiased advice.

You don't want a power feed that's too big any more than you want one that's too small, for example the mounting plate on a bigger one might interfere with the machine fences or guarding. Also think about how easy it is to dismount and re-fit, as it can be a struggle for one person to move them on and off the spindle moulder.

Good luck!

Edit, just seen your follow on post so ignore this!

custard":y3m4ha6j said:
Have you talked it over with Axminster? They know their machines better than any of us, and they're generally honest brokers when it comes to giving unbiased advice.

You don't want a power feed that's too big any more than you want one that's too small, for example the mounting plate on a bigger one might interfere with the machine fences or guarding. Also think about how easy it is to dismount and re-fit, as it can be a struggle for one person to move them on and off the spindle moulder.

Good luck!

Edit, just seen your follow on post so ignore this!
Ah, OK thanks for that :)

A power feed tranforms a spindle moulder. They are a pipper to get set nice and level to the bed initially, but well worth the effort to get it correct as it wont feed well if its tilted. Once set up a power feed just needs raising and lowering and maybe an adjustment for toe in, about say 4 to 6mm range works.

I find swinging the feed round to position first, then placing a piece of the work just alongside the wheels as a guide for height setting works well.

If the power feed is not locked off, especially the main rotation on the main column the power feed will get drawn into the cutter, Im sure its happened to most power feeds in their life! Hence why the wheels have plastic or aluminium hubs. Actually a power feed with a machined down middle wheel is a benefit, I wonder why power feeds arent sold with a narrow middle wheel option.

At the Peter Sefton day class on the spindle moulder yesterday he went into quite a degree of depth setting up the power feed and using it correctly and safely. Money well spent, really interesting, how to set up and use false fence, false table, setting up the various guards. Using a ring fence and the difference between that and using a bearing guide for curved work. We also received extensive class notes from Peter. The only niggly thing was that I got up at half past 5 to make sure I got there on time, even so I got there 15 mins late, so I felt a bit knacked during the class. I was really surprised the power feed on his Hammer was..... huge, never seen one close up, perhaps they are all that big.
I'm looking at the other spindle training days available. Couple of other people offer bespoke training day classes, so try to tailor the class to suit ones particular interests. Axminster do a day class in February but I feel a bit wary of going on that don't want to pay to cover the same ground that I've done with Peter.

Well done for having the commitment to get the proper training.

With that under your belt, what's your first spindle project?

Back