CMT 2000 router problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woody-som

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a CMT 2000 and it's been fab but today I noticed the variable speed unit no longer works, can anyone suggest where I can obtain a replacement unit. Axminster Power Tools no longer sell this router.

Thanks

Chris

Hi Chris
Pretty sure it is just a rebadged dewalt/elu/trend router, so one of those options might be helpful?

Is it this one?:
b80be74836fe6e34e42d53f88052.jpg

Or this one?:

476_9_fi_cmt7e.jpg

Or this one?:

images

If it's the first one, it's an Elu (later Trend/DeWalt) clone, and if it's been in a table for ever, my thread on my T11 speed problem probably covers it (take the top off, glue the magnet back on the shaft, feel smug).

If it's the second one, it's a Triton. Can't help there, but someone else will know!

If it's the third one, I've no idea, but you might match it via a Google image search, then try Miles Tools in Yeovil for a part, if necessary.

Hope that helps, somehow.

E.

PS: Welcome to the forum!

Yes, and if it's the first one take the variable speed thingy off, take it apart and get all the dust out of it before you even fiddle about with magnets. It worked on my one (Elu). might work for the other ones too.

Eric The Viking":1viafkjz said:
Is it this one?:
b80be74836fe6e34e42d53f88052.jpg

Or this one?:

476_9_fi_cmt7e.jpg

Or this one?:

images

If it's the first one, it's an Elu (later Trend/DeWalt) clone, and if it's been in a table for ever, my thread on my T11 speed problem probably covers it (take the top off, glue the magnet back on the shaft, feel smug).

If it's the second one, it's a Triton. Can't help there, but someone else will know!

If it's the third one, I've no idea, but you might match it via a Google image search, then try Miles Tools in Yeovil for a part, if necessary.

Hope that helps, somehow.

E.

PS: Welcome to the forum!

First is the one i thought it might be.

2nd is the one scott & sargeant are listing

3rd looks like a rebadged Fein router

Thanks guys, it's the first one in the images, and I understood it was a Dewalt 625E clone. I'll have a look in the top and see what happens, and yes it's been in a table, I've been making kitchen doors.

If it has been used in a table then also remove the spindle lock and clean out the dust inside.
This can build up and wreck the bearings. I had two in trouble last year and both needed new bearings having been wrecked by dust.

Myfordman":3mizwmm6 said:
If it has been used in a table then also remove the spindle lock and clean out the dust inside.
This can build up and wreck the bearings. I had two in trouble last year and both needed new bearings having been wrecked by dust.

is that via the 3 screws surrounding the collet ?

I took the top off last night, and the magnet mentioned above had worked off, it's scuffed on the top side but placed it back on and working again, thanks guys, saved me who knows how much :D

woody-som":2livecim said:
I took the top off last night, and the magnet mentioned above had worked off, it's scuffed on the top side but placed it back on and working again

+1 for teamwork!

I'm probably telling granny to suck eggs, but you probably should use Loctite thread lock or similar on the splines to keep the magnet in place.

It won't stop you disassembling it if you ever need to do the bearings, but it will stop it happening again - at least, it has on mine.

Pleased it's working!

E.

woody-som":2u7aq4z7 said:
Myfordman":2u7aq4z7 said:

is that via the 3 screws surrounding the collet ?

Yes just remove those 3 screws and lift off the lock assembly. The dust tends to compress into a ring - dark coloured if really bad - that can look like some sort of seal but it is not. Eventually the friction builds up as does the heat and it bakes on some more and so on.

Back