Chisels n planes help!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jacob":3va0rovr said:
richarddownunder":3va0rovr said:
....The OP asked for opinions, I gave mine, I wasn't out for a debate ....
Giving an opinion IS 'being out for a debate'.
I gave mine too - doesn't bother me to be disagreed with in a debate. :lol:

On the scratching point, yes, they seem quite soft - I have scratched and dinged mine :cry: . However, I stupidly clonked my lovely old Stanley 8C the other day with a stainless steel 1m ruler and it chipped a 2mm bit off one corner. So old Stanley's are not immune from chips and scratches either. I'm not willing to get a nail to compare them though :lol: .

There is also the fact that they are made currently by craftsmen in Sheffield and I like to support that, and isn't craftsmanship what this site is primarily about?

I have 2 bicycles. One was 4 times more expensive than the other. I use them on my daily 30km round trip to work. They both usually get me there and back and occasionally fall apart. The cheap one is a good workhorse. The expensive one is more fun - it’s more of a pleasure to ride, it’s a bit faster, has better brakes, it has better fit and finish and components in general... it’s a bit of a thrill to ride. I use them both but prefer my more expensive one. It doesn't take long for this "wealthy amateur" (well the amateur bit is right)) to accumulate petrol savings to pay for another tool either \:D/ ! (that is supposed to be a tool analogy BTW, not wanting to start a debate on bikes ... passionately extoling the virtues (or otherwise) of disc brakes, although there is bound to be one somewhere on a parallel forum).

Cheers
Richard

Just4Fun":1yckvv35 said:
richarddownunder":1yckvv35 said:
The Clifton 51/2 is a wonderful plane, and also a joy to use - I was using it yesterday and compared with my oldish US Stanley 6, its is a huge step up in quality even though the 6 works OK.
Can you write more about that? How exactly is the quality better? Having no experience of anything but cheap planes I don't know what I am missing.

Hi

Here is a link to a few comments I made on the plane i bought...my-new-clifton-5-1-2-t87676.html

there are also some other comments in a whiparound...new-graphite-clifton-5-1-2-passaround-t84749.html

As Jacob says, they are nicely made and pretty... and heavy. As well as that they are flat, solid and hold a good edge in my view. Its great for flattening things like guitar backs where the weight can be an advantage, depending on your point of view.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Richard

Back