UKWorkshop Woodworking Forums




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Cheap Painters Pyramids
PostPosted: 10 Mar 2011, 20:00 
Offline
Valued Contributor
User avatar

Joined: 15 Oct 2010, 20:16
Posts: 2552
Location: Shelfanger
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 55 times
I had a Rutlands catalogue turn up at the workshop today and was having a look through with a cup of coffee.

Anyway I nearly fell over when I saw that they are selling painters pyramids as they call them for over a quid each http://www.rutlands.co.uk/finishes-glue ... s-pyramids

I have been using small square offcuts with a screw through to do the same thing for years and they cost next to nothing to make!

Image

Hope that I save someone out there a few quid!!

Rog

_________________
www.rogerberwick.com


Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Digg
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 10 Mar 2011, 20:23 
Offline
Valued Contributor
User avatar

Joined: 10 Nov 2006, 17:52
Posts: 6446
Location: Dagenham, England
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 24 times
Roger

People like spending money :lol:

Like I did on my visit :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 10 Mar 2011, 20:43 
Offline
Valued Contributor
User avatar

Joined: 15 Oct 2010, 20:16
Posts: 2552
Location: Shelfanger
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 55 times
Ah yes Allen, but save the smaller amounts by making things like this and then you can afford the bigger toys!!!

By the way Had my new extractors etc delivered today - My workshop is now super clean! :wink: :wink:

Edited tho Allen to say your alright - Your extractor is still bigger than mine! (hammer) (hammer) (hammer)

_________________
www.rogerberwick.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 11 Mar 2011, 05:11 
Offline
Valued Contributor
User avatar

Joined: 10 Nov 2006, 17:52
Posts: 6446
Location: Dagenham, England
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 24 times
Dodge wrote:
Ah yes Allen, but save the smaller amounts by making things like this and then you can afford the bigger toys!!!

By the way Had my new extractors etc delivered today - My workshop is now super clean! :wink: :wink:

Edited tho Allen to say your alright - Your extractor is still bigger than mine! (hammer) (hammer) (hammer)



Size matter

So I am told :mrgreen: :mrgreen:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 12 Mar 2011, 18:30 
Offline
Valued Contributor
User avatar

Joined: 31 Jul 2005, 17:06
Posts: 5565
Location: North Somerset
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times
An interesting idea.

Do you blunt the tips of the screws?

_________________
Olly.

My Blog
YouTube Channel


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 12 Mar 2011, 20:55 
Offline
Valued Contributor
User avatar

Joined: 19 Jan 2010, 20:36
Posts: 5202
Location: Bristle, CUBA (the County that Used to Be Avon)
Has thanked: 484 times
Been thanked: 343 times
OPJ wrote:
An interesting idea.

Do you blunt the tips of the screws?


You don't need to if you buy 'em from Toolstation :roll:

Don't ask me how I know...

E.

_________________
"When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened, or not." Mark Twain


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 12 Mar 2011, 21:47 
Offline
A Regular Member

Joined: 15 Jan 2010, 16:31
Posts: 1106
Location: Buxton, Derbyshire
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 3 times
I thought I'd invented that Rog! We can split the royalties if you want. :D _Dan.

_________________
Love in = Love out.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 13 Mar 2011, 09:29 
Offline
Valued Contributor
User avatar

Joined: 31 Jul 2005, 17:06
Posts: 5565
Location: North Somerset
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times
Eric The Viking wrote:
You don't need to if you buy 'em from Toolstation :roll:


Really? Which ones are you buying?

_________________
Olly.

My Blog
YouTube Channel


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 13 Mar 2011, 09:58 
Offline
Valued Contributor
User avatar

Joined: 19 Jan 2010, 20:36
Posts: 5202
Location: Bristle, CUBA (the County that Used to Be Avon)
Has thanked: 484 times
Been thanked: 343 times
Only for DIY, not cabinetmaking, but their double-start ones have got worse and worse recently. Time was when you could easily spike yourself on them, now you could easily do one of those Indian Fakir bed tricks without any real danger. The #2 pozi heads are often loose on my diamond screwdriving bits too.

They used to sell 'Twinquick' (yellow/brown boxes) as standard. I don't know what they are now, and I've had a couple snap recently too (#10 or #8). I don't like their long-shank gold-coloured metric ones for the same reason - they're blunt, sometimes the points aren't centred, and the threads are so coarse I don't trust them to hold well. I'll have a look at which the offenders are and report back.

Screwfix ones aren't much better (but Toolstation is nearer and the queues aren't as bad, usually).

CHeers,

E.

_________________
"When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened, or not." Mark Twain


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2011, 08:40 
Offline
Valued Contributor
User avatar

Joined: 10 Mar 2007, 16:12
Posts: 8635
Location: West Muddylands
Has thanked: 345 times
Been thanked: 109 times
OPJ wrote:
Eric The Viking wrote:
You don't need to if you buy 'em from Toolstation :roll:


Really? Which ones are you buying?


The blunt ones apparently :D

John !

_________________
Image
For my Mentor. Vic Wyatt; GBNF.

Some of my artwork: http://www.freewebs.com/artwayze/index.htm


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 21 Mar 2011, 20:08 
Offline
Participant

Joined: 06 Mar 2011, 19:39
Posts: 11
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Eric The Viking wrote:
Only for DIY, not cabinetmaking, but their double-start ones have got worse and worse recently. Time was when you could easily spike yourself on them, now you could easily do one of those Indian Fakir bed tricks without any real danger. The #2 pozi heads are often loose on my diamond screwdriving bits too.

They used to sell 'Twinquick' (yellow/brown boxes) as standard. I don't know what they are now, and I've had a couple snap recently too (#10 or #8). I don't like their long-shank gold-coloured metric ones for the same reason - they're blunt, sometimes the points aren't centred, and the threads are so coarse I don't trust them to hold well. I'll have a look at which the offenders are and report back.

Screwfix ones aren't much better (but Toolstation is nearer and the queues aren't as bad, usually).

CHeers,

E.



gave up with all their overpriced rubbish screws a long tme ago. We switched to spax but they were too expensive and jacked the wood apart all the time. Switched to these and they are very impressive and coe with a decent bit in each box as well. We get through hundreds of them at work, well worth looking at

http://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/timberf ... f-100.html


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 21 Mar 2011, 20:31 
Offline
Settled in Member
User avatar

Joined: 16 Jun 2009, 11:42
Posts: 728
Location: North Devon
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 1 time
Thermo wrote:
gave up with all their overpriced rubbish screws a long tme ago. We switched to spax but they were too expensive and jacked the wood apart all the time. Switched to these and they are very impressive and coe with a decent bit in each box as well. We get through hundreds of them at work, well worth looking at

http://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/timberf ... f-100.html


I use the timberfix screws, and friulsider, I get them from a local ex wurth rep for much the same price as the screwfix goldscrew, only (imo) they are loads better


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 28 Mar 2011, 10:33 
Offline
Signed in

Joined: 25 Mar 2011, 16:16
Posts: 1
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Thanks for posting this, i've only bought a few, but it's nice to have extra money saving tips :)

_________________
Workwear - Krowmark Workwear
My work clothing website. Contact me for discounts.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 09 Nov 2016, 15:49 
Offline
Participant

Joined: 07 Mar 2015, 19:48
Posts: 39
Location: Bucks UK
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Would rather stand on the plastic ones thanks.....


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
 Similar topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
Best cheap ROS?

in Buying Advice | Tool Reviews

sparky256

11

960

13 Jun 2016, 21:32

Cheap lathe?

in Wood Turning - Lathes

dickm

1

405

23 Jul 2016, 11:04

cheap chisels

in Buying Advice | Tool Reviews

phil.p

13

619

28 Dec 2016, 13:42

Is this cheap or am I imagining it?

in Wood Turning - Lathes

phil.p

9

673

24 Aug 2016, 04:45

Cheap Japanese saw

in Hand Tools

Keith 66

4

733

02 Jun 2016, 07:45


Register UKW

User Tools






UKW Local

Quickly find the nearest tool suppliers & timber merchants in your area





Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
UKW Terms & Privacy

phpBB SEO