Cheap "Grip-it" clamp repair and improvement

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niki

Established Member
Reaction score
Good day

I bought those cheap grip clamps. After some time I noticed that they are not "gripping" but sliding back. Another problem was, the handle pin housing breaking.

For the pin housing, I drilled hole and replaced the pin with screw washers and nut.

I solved the sliding problem by grinding the narrow sides with # 40 to make them rough.

It was such a good repair, that I made it on all my grip clamps, even the good ones.

Regards
niki

Code:
[img]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t104/nanikami/Grip%20clamps/01.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t104/nanikami/Grip%20clamps/02.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t104/nanikami/Grip%20clamps/03.jpg[/img]

Attachments

• 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 704
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 708
  • 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 707
I bought a couple of these clamps a while ago and broke them within the same day! :D

I intend to do the same as you some time. If you've got spare nuts, washers and bolts around, it certainly makes a great saving as opposed to spending £15+ each on the Record clamps.

Just fixed a set of these clamps that have been driving me mad everytime I start gluing up and realise they just can't maintian the pressure.
I roughened up the backs as you describe and they are steady as a rock now. It is as though the factory did not know what they were making.

I will be replacing the bolts too soon.

Thanks for sharing this tip.

cowboy682":duwcnrxy said:
any tips on repairing the trigger handle as mine as snapped
Thanks Graham

I know it's an off-the-wall idea but can't help thinking a bit of wood might do the trick :)

For the trigger handle I'd recommend Miliput - I don't think I've ever found a job that the stuff can't repair, and once it's set, it's as tough as, or tougher than most plastic parts.

It sticks really well to most things, but on plastic repairs, it's usually a help to drill a set of small holes along the whole of the repair area (extend the repair a fair bit up the plastic if it's to take any strain) and rough up the surface a bit, so that the putty can grip through and around the plastic, not just to the surface. Make sure it's mixed really well (several minutes kneading the bit you've cut for using) and that the pack isn't too old.

I don't think any workshop should be without a pack of the stuff. I've repaired pottery, metal work, furniture and plastics with it, and most of the repairs have outlasted the thing that was repaired!

Cheers.

Nic.

Thanks for the post, I hadn't thought about improving my handy-cramps, which are okay, but not very crampy, I think you've just saved me a few quid buying replacements. More of the same please :D :D

RossJarvis":1cuhd2ae said:
Thanks for the post, I hadn't thought about improving my handy-cramps, which are okay, but not very crampy, I think you've just saved me a few quid buying replacements. More of the same please :D :D
The first post is 7 years old and sadly I believe Niki has passed away since then.

mseries":1u1xuui7 said:
RossJarvis":1u1xuui7 said:
The first post is 7 years old and sadly I believe Niki has passed away since then.

Sadly, that's true. Niki was an inventive woodworker and shared his ideas generously on this and on other forums. His widow decided not to close his accounts or remove images, so there are loads of his posts to learn from. Best starting point is the Sticky, next to this post at the top of the list.

AndyT":cb5olfyc said:
mseries":cb5olfyc said:
RossJarvis":cb5olfyc said:

Sadly, that's true. Niki was an inventive woodworker and shared his ideas generously on this and on other forums. His widow decided not to close his accounts or remove images, so there are loads of his posts to learn from. Best starting point is the Sticky, next to this post at the top of the list.

I missed the posting date. I'm sorry to hear of Niki's passing, but it's good that his input lives on.

I recommend anyone should have a good look at his list of things - I've been through it several times and still pick up on things I missed as there are so many; some are so simple yet effective, they will be of benefit to most woodworkers who don't have a fully equipped workshop (and even some who do).

Back