Cheap glasses?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
phil.p":enca1m4b said:
I'd think £98 out and out robbery.

Whereas I thought it was damn fine value :lol:
I'd happily get some £20-50 stuff if I could find ones I actually liked.

bugbear":1tkksu8a said:
Rorschach":1tkksu8a said:
Online glasses I tend to pay about £20-30 for a pair.
Excellent! Which vendor(s) do you use?

BugBear

Glasses direct were the last ones I used I think, I took advantage of a special offer and got a pair of quite nice designer ones for something silly like £18 delivered. It seems they start at 2 pairs for £50 now which is good value and there is an offer on for 2 pairs for £19 which I would be taking advantage of if I wasn't due an eye test in a few months and I know I will need a new prescription.

Rorschach":cjdod3t7 said:
bugbear":cjdod3t7 said:
Rorschach":cjdod3t7 said:
Online glasses I tend to pay about £20-30 for a pair.
Excellent! Which vendor(s) do you use?

BugBear
Glasses direct were the last ones I used I think, I took advantage of a special offer and got a pair of quite nice designer ones for something silly like £18 delivered. It seems they start at 2 pairs for £50 now which is good value and there is an offer on for 2 pairs for £19 which I would be taking advantage of if I wasn't due an eye test in a few months and I know I will need a new prescription.
Well, that makes life complicated. :( Can you arm wrestle, or something, with phil.p to see who's right about glassesdirect? :D

BugBear

Very suspicious of the 2 pairs for £ x - my last lot was on this basis.
I see it as just a means of getting more money - I have my second pair unused.
I'm quite happy with one pair - tend to look a bit stupid wearing two pairs - but perhaps its not always the glasses.

Brian

Clearly (haha!) we have had different results from glassesdirect - mine were readers which I wore occasionally so didn't ever find any problems with long-term use. Now I've gone for varifocals but I still use them when I want a better close up view, as you may know varifocals have a very narrow field of (sharp) view - but as I say, I don't wear them day in day out.

bugbear":2ajeb733 said:
Without getting too philosophical - £50 or less.

BugBear

Given that budget, you could look at Boots - single vision are something like £35 a pair - which is on a par with Phil's comment about specsavers.

If anyone is interested in more expensive glasses, varifocals for example, the other good wheeze is to join the Boots Contact Lens Reward Scheme (even if you don't want lenses). You get an eye check, some trial lenses, and then pay a monthly direct debit - the amount depends on your lens choice and the number you want. If you go for the minimum, you end up paying about £15 per month. However, once you are enrolled you get half-price specs - potentially saving a few hundred pounds. You can stop the contract at any time.

I find choosing glasses at an opticians bad enough but online with all those available!
When you add up all the extras the price shoots up.

Rod

I've been using glassesdirect for years, without any problems at all. Full-time specs wearer for 40 years (astigmatism) and now need varifocals. Had my eyes tested a Boots opticians last time, and while I was there I priced up a couple of pairs of specs - they weren't really what I wanted, but as I was there... Six hundred quid, they wanted. SIX HUNDRED! For 2 pairs of specs, madness.

Incidentally, if you fancy a philosophical discussion, try asking the optician about how the anti-scratch coating *and* the anti-reflective coatings work together. I mean, if the anti-reflective coating goes over the anti-scratch, then surely it'll scratch. And if the anti-scratch goes over the anti-reflective, then surely it's rendered ineffective..? Unless the anti-scratch is also anti-reflective, in which case why use both... etc.. etc..

Well. The internet is marvellous and all that.

But it turns out Specsavers, on my market town high street, do prescription glasses for £25 all in.
I'm picking them up (and they will be checked for prescription and fit) on Tuesday.

BugBear (surprised)

Back