Cheap Bench Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got one very similar to that. Its a Titan from Screwfix which I got for £80, they are loud and very unstable on the leg kit. Can't do any decent mitres or anything with them. The T Tracks aren't much good. Dust extraction is hard with all the vents in the side. The supplied blade will need replacing.

Having said that I replaced the blade one mine and made a few modifications and I've really got on well with it. Made a cross cut sled and have done lots of projects with it. Its got me started.

But if it was me with my time again, I'd save the money an buy a proper tablesaw.

I started with one of those. In fact as the Kity isn't going into the workshop until the windows and door are on - that's the sort of thing I am using at the moment. It isn't so load (annoyingly that is) but the fence is rubbish - I have to raise the blade fully and set the fence measuring from both ends of the blade to the fence, and then lowering it to the height required.

Again it depends on what you are doing and how much time you have. Yes - better saws beat it hands down, but better tools don't always result in better "stuff".

Ok what's the minimum I can spend and get a reasonable saw any make recommended

Brand new and with a lot of haggling, £500?
Cheaper on the Bay but heavy to move.
If you're serious about woodwork, furniture etc, you're gonna end up with a decent TS eventually, trust me, we've all, well most at least, walked the cheap route!

Roy.

To give you some idea John, I made my first TS, next step was a cheapo Aluminium topped thing that left silver paint on everything I cut. Eventually I scraped together the cash and bought a SIP 10 incher.
Several hours of adjustments and re-setting were necessary and the purchase of two Freud blades followed.
Now, with jigs, my saw rips, rebates, cuts accurate mitres, tenons that need no further finishing, finger joints, dovetails and cross cuts that need no planing to finish.
The cheap ones won't.

Roy.

John Hale":xbkx4y2x said:
Well it looks like I'll have to waste £80 on a rubbish one now and save for a good un'

rather than wasting 80 notes on one thats absolute pants i'd be more inclined to wait until you can afford at least a halfway decent one (like the axminster Ts200 for just under 300 notes) - you can do a lot with a hand held cuircular saw and a home made sled - and if you also have a bandsaw you may not need a saw bench any time soon.

Buy it !!.. When i started in woodwork i had a second hand site saw with no gaurds or fence , it cost me £150 and that was bearly 18 years ago .

When you have saved more money and need a better saw then stick this one back on ebay an even second hand you will get at least £50 for it so you aint lost a lot 8)

As somone said above , you dont need the most expensive tools , its what you have at the time and how you use it that matters .. :!:

Back