cast iron protection

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunnybob

wysiwyg
Reaction score
I'm having more trouble this summer keeping the cast iron nice than in the last three winters as humidity is very high this year. All the american sites I visit rate johnsons paste wax above almost everything else.
But at this price?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Johnson-470ml- ... B0000DIWIM

Anybody got any cheaper solutions for my bandsaw and bobbin sander tables?

wow, thats steep, especially as it's white spirit (mineral spirit in some places), paraffin wax and a tiny tiny amount of carnuba wax, something like a 70-25-5 mix.

oh, did I just hint at a possible solution with a recipe to make your own, that would be silly of me wouldn't it. a wonder what the cost of those ingredients would be?

obviously you're in Cyprus so nothing is ever easy, but in the UK, a quid for a bottle of white spirit if you get a good vintage, a kilo of parrafin wax on amazon is 6 quid and 4 quid for the carnuba wax (100g), again from amazon.
so 0.7l of white spirit, 250g of parrafin and 50g of carnuba, which would be enough to coat every machine you own for the next 10-20 years. :) not to mention using it to finish your boxes with.
oh and use a ban marie or reboiler to melt the wax, that way you can add it all in the pot at once then pour in to a suitable container (s) of your choice.

me, I'm a traditionalist, I use beeswax and white sprint in a 80-20 mix because I get the wax for free. :) normally made in small batches because it does set hard eventually (tip number 4 in this list of tips).

raw linseed oil half n half with turps. Wipe/brush it on thinly, everywhere.
It hardens after a few days and is permanent except on heavily used surfaces - where it still seems to linger longer than you'd expect.

phil.p":3e1twxd5 said:
£10.62 - £18.67
The price of a couple of metres of timber to protect hundreds or thousands of pounds worth of machinery? :roll:
And I've had my half litre can 3 or 4 years and it's still half full.

You could try another tack Bob depending on your workshop; run a dehumidifier. Since I've put one in my shed the rust monster dare not raise its head :)

Memzey, c'mon, youve been here! A dehumidifier would need emptying every 20 minutes and cost more to run than my tools are worth, considering the garage is only closed by two roll up garage doors.

cant get linseed oil or parafin wax here either.

My next "care package" from the UK wont be till october,so I need something fairly quick. I have some beeswax, and also white spirit. I shall have to experiment.
I bought a can of ACF 50 with me, to protect my motorcycles, but thats all been used up now, and as I have no more bikes shant be replacing that.

Its weird this year, temps arent all that high for the time of year, mostly low 30's (usually 40), but just standing in the workshop brings a sweat to the body.

I expect I shall buy from axminster as their delivery is very good (to the UK).
Ta muchly.

If anything appears on the iron, Garryson Garryflex abrasive blocks various grits do a good job at removing. I find Liberon lubricating wax is very good. I have a Meaco ( Which Magazine, Best Buy , 3 year warranty ) dehumidifier. Though a dehumidifier may not be suitable for your situation.

I use Machine Guard once a year / on everything when I first get it, then Liberon luricating wax often to reduce friction as well as providing protection. It's kept everything rust free for me.

sunnybob":3mwanmrl said:
Anybody got any cheaper solutions for my bandsaw and bobbin sander tables?
You can make your own paste wax in one afternoon Bob. If you get the ingredients right you can get an exact match to the venerable Johnson's product but for this you don't need to worry about what waxes you use, you can use any old candle stubs for all the difference it will make to rust prevention.

Even if you have to buy a few candles call it under a quid for a quantity that will last the average user their entire lives.

Alternatively you could try the talc trick, which would you believe it I read about just a few hours ago?!

If you want to try Jacob's usual advice in this regard you might be able to find flaxseed oil locally which is linseed oil by another name and unfortunately usually with a higher pricetag. Walnut oil is often easier to find, although again more costly, and can be used in its stead. Walnut oil isn't quite as tough as linseed oil when dry but works very similarly.

Last but not least, you could try varnish. Seriously, this apparently works well. Some of the guys who recommend it say they only need to reapply it to their cast iron every few years.

There is a shop about 20 miles away that does some liberon products, I have bought buffalo wax and 0000 wire wool there. I shall have to look for the lubricating wax.
dehumidifiers are out of the question. I always work with the door wide open and rarely close it during the day as I have no near neighbours and my house is at a dead end so I dont need to be very secure.

I used wd 40 as a very temporary protection, but then completely forgot it was there and cut some ply wood shapes. Can you spell stupid?

Back