Car scratch remover.....which?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That would depend entirely on the depth of the scratch, I suppose?

Pics?

Could be anything from a light polishing to a complete respray, bit hard to say without seeing it.

if when you run your thumb nail over it you can feel it, then nothing that you should use will remove it.
a paint shop or "detailer" (hateful modern term for someone who cleans cars) maybe able to polish them out with a DA and suitable compounds.

if, when you run your thumb nail over it you can't feel it, then you have 2 options, one is a polish or wax with fillers in, the other is a polish with cutting compound in and a ton of elbow grease. for me, I prefer option 2 if it's a known car with known paint.
if you do go option 2, waffle pads and something like maguires ultimate cutting compound or scratch x (basically the same thing in different bottles) followed by swirl x then a normal polish (I like their DX stuff) then a good full body wax (I prefer autoglym at this point). I've also had good outcomes with farecala g3 followed by autoglym super resin (lots of fillers in this though) and finally autoglym HD wax.
the first option, a good clean, a clay bar to remove residues, autoglym super resin twice then 3 coats of autoglym HD tends to hide most defects nicely. :)

Start gentle and work your way up, i.e dont go straight for a scratch remover like T-Cut as it's very aggressive, start with a polish designed for regular use such a Mer, you would be surprised what it can do.

I've used a G3 Rubbing Compound on my car after a scrape in a carpark. Worked really well and is quite gentle. Won't take out heavy and deep scratches but worked pretty good cosmetically.

Back