Cannot Believe It: Toolman's Online!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joiner_sim

Established Member
Reaction score
When I was working at the furniture making company last year, I'm sad to say that someone stole two chisels from my toolbox. I had a set of 6 matching Marples/Irwin chisels that I had come to love. So I was sad that someone had been in my box and stole two of them, which prompted me to change my toolboxes from a large chest to a small carry box, thus taking alot of tools home and padlocking the remaining ones left.

Now, I've just been rewarded for the memorial cross I've just finished: http://www.freewebs.com/simonswoodwork/shopfitting.htm I'm looking to buy the chisels to match once again. I am unfortunatley unable to find them. And now don't want to find matching chisels, as the reputable sites do not have the exact ones. However, what I did stumble across on Google was, that my old faithful hand tool shop (back in Birmingham, now 20 miles away from where I live) has gone online! So, I am definatley ordering from them their Irwins/ Marples chisels, although they don't match they are the brand I want with the 2 sizes I require. Now, if there online service is anything like their store service I shouldn't be disappointed! Just gotta go down the workshop and check it is the 6mm and 25mm chisels I require before placing the order. But, I will let you all know on how their service goes.

But for now, here's their link:
http://www.toolmanyardley.co.uk
BE SURE TO HAVE A LOOK, THIS SHOP WAS A GREAT STORE TO BROWSE AROUND IN AND NW THEY ARE ONLINE!

You could do much better than the Irwin brand...Chinese cheese steel :-& I know 'cos I tested some for F&C a coupla years ago. Have a good look at the Bacho or new Narex ones that Matthew stocks at Workshop Heaven, much better IMO - Rob

Hmmm.... I don't know about chinese/ foriegn stuff..... japanese tools, they get raved about, but I ain't so sure myself! And anyway I want the brand to match my existing branded chisels lol..... been using irwin/marples for over 5 years now and they've been great. Also got to remember my chisels could be on a building site one day and the next back in a lovely warm workshop so need something versatile.

joiner_sim":39osppu7 said:
Also got to remember my chisels could be on a building site one day and the next back in a lovely warm workshop so need something versatile.

I'm the same, don't know where I'll be half the time so I've got a mix of 19 year old marples and stanley dynagrips, which I'm aware aren't the greatest, but they're not the worst and they'll take all the abuse I'm sure to give them on site

I like the look of the narex, so I may go for a few of them for the workshop at some point, strange how they are cheaper bought individually than in a set

Blimey, they're punching above their weight. Do they have an online version of the overflowing buckets of crappy router bits almost blocking what's left of the floor?

Aidan

joiner_sim":os40f6le said:
Hmmm.... I don't know about chinese/ foriegn stuff..... japanese tools, they get raved about, but I ain't so sure myself! And anyway I want the brand to match my existing branded chisels lol..... been using irwin/marples for over 5 years now and they've been great.
Fair enoughski...brand loyalty isn't to be sneezed at and for site work the Marples/Irwin chisels would probably be OK as they can be tapped with a hammer and the loss isn't too great if one of them goes 'walkabout' Don't forget though, that Japanese chisels are also used 'on site' in Japan and there are now HSS versions which are reputed to be bulletproof...and they can also be tapped with a hammer. The Narex chisels are excellent and I'd be tempted to keep a few at home in a nice warm 'shop for those special cabinet making jobs that might involve say, a bit of delicate dovetailing - Rob

I have been to toolman many a time over the years and it is like an aladins cave for tools. But in my opinion its a site chippys grade of shop now.

15 years ago it used to stock some handtools at very cheap prices and the metal in the blades were of much higher quality

Now their prices aren't much different but the quality of stock isn't as good as it used to be.

Sim if i was you I would get some good quality chisels which will cost you a bit more than you pay now, but they will last you a lifetime

maybe some from these.

http://www.ashleyiles.turningtools.co.uk/index.html

Back