Can this old backsaw be rescued?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pidgeonpost

Established Member
Reaction score
I've had this old backsaw for many years, but have never used it much because it never seemed easy to keep it cutting to the line. Recently I dug it out and took a closer look at it. The blade is slightly bent at the toe end, and also appears to have kink a couple of inches in from the toe. I think it's 14tpi, and cuts a kerf of just under 1mm.
Question is, can it be made servicable again, bearing in mind that in gaining the kink the metal may have been stretched. Also where might I get it done?
The handle is beautifully comfortable, and the brass back must be almost 1/4" thick.
What does the team think?

oldsaw-4.jpg

oldsaw-1.jpg

oldsaw-2.jpg

Well given it could be nearly 100 years old and looks like new, gotta be worth a try. :D Is it really a kink, or a curve? A kink could be a problem. Mike is better placed to give advice on this 'cos even with my saw problem he's had 100 times more experience than I and my record of fixing bent saw blades is more luck than judgement. :oops: You can check to see if the blade's still tensioned by grasping the edge between finger and thumb and trying to push it to and fro. If you get a plink-plonk effect, like the "tamper button" on a metal jar lid when it's been opened, then it's in trouble. On the other hand sometimes the mere adjustment up or down of the back can tension things right up again - easier said than done in many case though.

Cheers, Alf

I would say from what Mike told me to do with an old saw I had ( it had a curve in the blade too ), which is not straight :D

I would say you still a chance of saving it but as Alf said ask Mike ( he's a very nice man :) )

Ps Thanks Mike as I would have binned the saw if it had not worked :)

...thanks Alf and Colin. I'll have a closer look and a 'twaek' of the blade to see if I can describe its condition more accurately, and may even try a photo, though I'm not sure the depth-of-field will be good enough on a close up. Watch this space!

Managed to take a couple of pretty poor photos of the saw blade, and have also tried flexing the blade - there is no 'plink-plonk', so maybe it's not a kink (though I'm prepared to be proved wrong).
Can anyone recommend someone who could maybe cast an experienced eye over the saw and resurrect it please?

IMG_0736.jpg

IMG_0738.jpg

Sorry for coming to this message late! Been just too darn busy.

This is the main part of the advice I gave Colin.
Slight, even bends are most often from the steel/brass backs coming down onto the saw plate at the toe. This forces the saw plate at the toe to try and move back towards the heel of the saw, creating a bow in the blade.

I usually start out by placing two fairly flat boards of equal width and longer than the saw upright in my bench's vise, placing the saw blade between them and clamping tight. The back should be a few mm above the boards. Just enough to get the tip of a flat bladed screwdriver against the saw blade and below the back.

Then I carefully pry the back up beginning at the mid point or a little closer to the toe than the middle and then, split the distance to the toe, and then at the toe. Each time just a nudge, but more each time.

After reaching the toe, I relax the vise, look at the blade and if there is an improvement, but it's not all the way straight, I reclamp and do it again. Usually this is all it takes.

Let me know if this works for you. Do be careful about the screwdriver slipping off as it will scratch the back.
On your saw, I would simply use it as is unless it caused a miscut--but I would always try it first.

Yours curves away at a mostly unused portion of the blade, the heel. By knocking up the back a little in the middle and then a little more on the way to the toe, it is possible it will tension the blade and make it straight.

It is also possible that because it is under the handle, it is actually the slot in the handle which is causing it to bend away. It can also be that this portion is slightly bent. Removing the blade and back form the saw would determine that. If once removed, it is still bent as in the photo, you can gently bend it back. If you do this, place the heel of the blade on your bench or another firm surface with the blade at the toe off the bench.

With your hands over the back and onto the blade, thumbs on the side it needs to bend towards, gently bend that back portion by pressing down. Check it again. If needed, apply more pressure each time until it is mostly straight, checking after each attempt.

But do the above only if once removed the blade is still bent. If it is in the handle you run the risk of cracking the handle. Also only do this after attempting to straighten the blade by pushing the back up as above.

If needed, I can take some pictures tonight of doing this.

Take care, Mike

Well what Mike said, I reckon. Although I've never even managed to successfully remove a saw blade from its back, so wadda I know?

Cheers, Alf

we remove backs all the time. I'll take a picture of the little jiggy tool we use.

But...I wasn't advocating removing the back from the blade. Probably hasty typing.

If the blade under the heel needs gently bent back into shape, removing the blade/back as a unit is what I meant to write...

The pressure of bending--it ends up curving quite a bit--the blade as it enters the handle can cause it to split. So that's why I most often remove the blade/back from the handle before attempting it.

Take care, Mike

MikeW":1xjyth62 said:
we remove backs all the time. I'll take a picture of the little jiggy tool we use.

Hi Mike,

Any pictures you could provide of dealing with bent saw blades would be really helpful :D

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Mike, could well be hasty reading on my part - one of those days. I'd love any pics on the subject at all, but only if you have spare time (but I suspect you laugh insanely at the concept of time being "spare" :lol: )

Cheers, Alf

Mike...many thanks for taking the time to reply so fully to query. I'll print your response at take it into the workshop with me. The brass back of the saw has a few hefty dings in it (visible on the 2nd photo) - maybe in an effort to crimp it onto the blade?
I'm pretty ignorant about the technology of saws, but given that this one quite old and very comfortable in the hand I'd like to try and give it another lease of life,

Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back