Calling all with an interest in Poetry

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

finneyb

Established Member
Reaction score
I heard a poem recently, not for the first time so it must be reasonably famous, about lies being covered up by complexity/confusion.

Anyone any ideas what the poem is? Because I've search the web to no avail.

Brian

lanemaux":2mngvxl0 said:
And remember , Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive. :lol: :wink:

That's the one !!
I heard in connection with Waverley Station in Edinburgh and Walter Scott. But of course, its not a poem and doesn't show when I search Walter Scott poems

Thank you

Brian

Isnt it from Marmion:

Its often missquoted as being Shakespeare

A sudden light on Marmion broke:–
"Ah! dastard fool, to reason lost!"
He muttered; "'T was nor fay nor ghost
I met upon the moonlight wold,
But living man of earthly mould.
O dotage blind and gross!
Had I but fought as wont, one thrust
Had laid De Wilton in the dust,
My path no more to cross.–
How stand we now?–he told his tale
To Douglas, and with some avail;
'T was therefore gloomed his rugged brow.–
Will Surrey dare to entertain
'Gainst Marmion, charge disproved and vain?
Small risk of that, I trow.
Yet Clare's sharp questions must I shun,
Must separate Constance from the nun–
Oh! what a tangled web we weave
When first we practise to deceive!
A Palmer too!–no wonder why
I felt rebuked beneath his eye;
I might have known there was but one
Whose look could quell Lord Marmion

I only know one poem, and I'm pretty sure yours doesn't relate to that young man from Nantucket.

finneyb":3lkklec6 said:
lanemaux":3lkklec6 said:
And remember , Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive. :lol: :wink:

That's the one !!
I heard in connection with Waverley Station in Edinburgh and Walter Scott. But of course, its not a poem and doesn't show when I search Walter Scott poems

Thank you

Brian
Aw Shucks , and I was just guessing! :oops: :oops: :oops:

Definitely from Marmion by Sir Walter Scott.

As for the traveller from an ancient land, it is Ozymandias (The Pillars of Ozymandias) by Shelley, and when I view some of my woodworking efforts, I often think of some of the lines in the second verse -

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair.

Boy, do I despair when I look at what a mess I have made of things - again.

K

graduate_owner":2qwgf5lm said:
As for the traveller from an ancient land, it is Ozymandias (The Pillars of Ozymandias) by Shelley
Just Ozymandias. The 'Pillar Of' is something else. :wink:

Have you read Horace Smith's version?

I stand corrected, also wrongly wrote ancient which should be antique land. Ah well, that's age for you. I read that in school ( about 50 years ago !!).
Then there's ' Romeo, Romeo, where the bl00dy hell have you bug@ered off to now?'

K

I discovered last week that I have inspired a poem! A proper one. Yes really.

I have a few lady friends. They look out for me when we go away for the weekend. The occasional text or email, Are You OK? How's your love-life?

Non-existent, how's yours?

At the beginning of the year a dozen or so of us went away for the weekend and one lunchtime I found myself in the pub with The Ladies. They were in mischievous mood, ganging up on me and having sport.

TL: You need a woman in your life.
Me: Like a hole in the head.
TL: You'll never find anyone with that attitude.
Me: They are all weird, even the nice ones.

Etc, etc, etc.

One of the things I find difficult to accept as, well, acceptable, is txt spk. RUOK? GR8! CU.

And so, as the conversation progressed, I got more extremely conservative and they got more bullying. It was all good-natured.

Eventually they got bored and the conversation moved on, but one of The Ladies is a poet, proper clubs and all that, and this little episode inspired her to write a poem, The Perfect Partner for a Pedant.

I saw her last week and she told me about this. It's nearly finished. I don't have it yet, but when I do, if she agrees, I'll share it here.

All I know is that one line reads:
I'd like to conceive with you - that's E before I, am I right?

She's quite a character, so I'm looking forward to the rest :)

graduate_owner":2tut3hno said:
Definitely from Marmion by Sir Walter Scott.

As for the traveller from an ancient land, it is Ozymandias (The Pillars of Ozymandias) by Shelley, and when I view some of my woodworking efforts, I often think of some of the lines in the second verse -

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair.

Boy, do I despair when I look at what a mess I have made of things - again.

K
The time to worry is when you reach the age of 80, and you look back, and think exactly the same! Thank the fates however I can see a few jewels among my memories so it isn't ALL bad! :D

Hah, yes. But my meaning was, I despair when I look upon my woodworking works. All that effort, and it's another piece of mismeasured firewood.
Not looking forward to being in my 80's. The 70's are approaching way too fast as it is.

K

Hah, yes. But my meaning was, I despair when I look upon my woodworking works. All that effort, and it's another piece of mismeasured firewood.
Not looking forward to being in my 80's. The 70's are approaching way too fast as it is.

K
Duplicate text.
Now how did that happen?

graduate_owner":2u72e3o7 said:
Duplicate text.
Now how did that happen?
It's just one of those things that happen when your 70s start approaching!! :lol:
Don't worry about it happening too much... be more concerned about whether it really happened, or if you're just seeing double! :p

Back