Building Detail

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwr

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi the detail I would like advice on is a single block and pier outer skin and a 4x2 inner skin insulated. I know in domestic timber frame construction the inner timber frame is plasterboard,insulation, osb,building paper cavity, then block or brick skin.

What would be the make up for a shed that has the outer skin up first?

The outer skin being in place first is a nightmare in terms of proper (or even adequate) wall build-up in an outbuilding. Please see the thread linked to below for a much better approach than that you gave. The OSB in modern timber framed buildings is in the wrong place, and will cause problems on a huge scale in years to come.

Hello Mike thank you for your response, I have looked at your very detailed method many times and thought that I would follow that example.

However my better half has expressed she would like it built in block and smooth render and to be honest it would give me pease of mind from a security point of view with a spate of burglary around here recently, I know the doors and windows are normally the weak points in an outbuilding but I know of a couple where entry was gained by cutting through the back of sheds in blind spots.

What make up would you suggest for rendered block and inner stud make up with insulation between studs and 50mm cavity? Would the osb go on the interior with tyveck or similar next to cavity.

Thank you

Blimey. You're going to end up with walls a foot thick. That's 2 feet off the external length and width of the outside of the building for your internal area. Does your partner know that it is perfectly possible to render onto a timber frame building, without any blocks being involved?

At last I have got my way after showing the better half Mikes build and others who have followed the same example. It also looks less work at ground level too so I will be following the same detail except the roof which will be a flat roof due to the 2.5M restriction.

It looks like I will need 200 x 50 for the joists with 150 insulation, should this be 11mm osb underside 150 insulation 50mm air space vented front and back of each space then 18mm t&g osb for fibreglass Finnish.

Thank you for your help

Back