Book review / day out - The Ken Hawley Experience

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyT

Established Member
Reaction score
Here's something worth a look - a recently published booklet telling the story of the Ken Hawley Collection.

IMG_0627.jpg

Ken Hawley has collected something over 100,000 tools and related items, plus 70,000 catalogues and other papers, telling the story of tool making in Sheffield. It's an astounding collection and is now housed by a charitable trust - see http://www.hawleytoolcollection.com for more information. Rather than repeat what is on that website, I just want to draw your attention to this book.

Its aim is to give a taster of the breadth and depth of the collection, which it does very well.

Where else would you see a special plane for making the wedges to go in wooden planes, or a rebate plane with variable pitch, or a jig to sharpen a float?

IMG_0628.jpg

Or a special curved ruler for a tailor to measure trouser legs?

IMG_0629.jpg

Ken Hawley must personally have more experience and knowledge of toolmaking and selling than anyone else. Here he is demonstrating the centuries-old method of cutting files by hand:

IMG_0630.jpg

Really, all I want to say is "buy this book" - how else will you know how to spot a pickaroon, or a spider bevel, or a beekeeper's spur embedding tool? How will you tell jimping from rattening?

It's 92 pages, full colour and only £4.99 from the shop at the Kelham Island museum, or by post, or from other good booksellers.

I definitely want to visit the musem when I can get a bit nearer Sheffield - has anyone already been there?

Yes been. It's brilliant. Just a quick one, will go again asap. The Hawley collection is just part of the museum. You see most of it from a distance - more curly saw handles than you can shake a stick at! To get closer to it there are various special events on the programme. I wondered about booking a group trip - perhaps meet Hawley himself as he is still with us I understand.
It's become a very trendy place Sheff - lots other things to do. Good day out for kids too.

What's the point in all that work - sweep braces with elaborate inlays, metal planes with intricate castings and so on... :lol:
All those old manufacturers wasting their time turning out high quality kit for the woodworkers of that era - bit like nowadays, pointless eh? :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

Andy

Latest posts

Back