Best Glue for Clamping Boards on edge?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulkane1

Established Member
Reaction score
Could someone on this Forum Kindly help me ,in relation to what is the best glue to use ,when clamping a number of boards together,edge to edge,I want to try and turn Large Platters,18 inches and up too 28-30 inches in diameter,I can't get the blanks natural at this size,so,I'm going to glue up a large blank,and ,cut the circle ,for a platter,I'm sure ,I could not,be able to put dowels,or,biscuits ,to help join them,as they would show through the wood,once I start turning.So,it looks like glue only,any ,advise?Any good contacts ,for Hardwood 8-9 inches wide ,by,2-4 inches thick,up to.28 -30 inches in length? in the U.K.,I live in Belfast ,N,Ireland,if someone knows of any suppliers ,here ,would you let me know,

Paul

As you are turning the finished assembly, and I'm assuming you will want to avoid any joint creep that might be felt over such large join lengths on a finished surface I would suggest that you use Cascamite if it is available in your neck of the woods.

Cascamite is a great glue, no need to rush when assembling, very strong and completely waterproof. I used to use it for making up curved laminated frames for boats some years ago now.

I also used Aerolite which is a glue plus a hardener on the other surface. Doesn’t gap fill like Cascamite but pretty much clear.

Latest posts

Back