belt changing on robland x31

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kolo

Reaction score
I have an old robland x31 combination ,machine and wish to replace the saw motor belt. I dont know how to do it and also what tension to set assuming I get to the part

Thanks

kolo

Changing the belts is pretty easy although actually finding the belts here in the US is close to impossible.

Disconnect the machine from the mains.

Slide up the small access panel on the saw infeed end of the body to free its tabs and remove it.

Inside you will see the top of a motor (horizontal) and a belt (vertical). This is the main belt from the motor which feeds power to an intermediate pulley above.

Remove the horizontal steel panel right above the blade height lever by removing two hex screws.

Tilt the blade to about 10 degrees.

Above, right under the lip of the cast iron table you will see a hex-head screw which sits at an odd angle to everything else -- this is what provides tensioning
to both of the belts. The screw is above and slightly to the right of the blade height lever and this why tilting the blade is necessary - otherwise the cast iron hides it.

Loosen this screw gradually and you should feel the visible belt below go slack but if your machine is like mine you might find that tapping the head of the
screw after loosening it will be necessary to allow it to slide inward and de-tension the belts.

Continue loosening/tapping and you should find that (with a bit of effort) the main belt can be slipped from the motor and intermediate pulley and extracted.

Stick your arm into the access hole (I told you to disconnect the mains!) and feel above and you will locate the second belt. This is thinner and shorter than the main belt.

If necessary, loosen the tensioning screw more but be careful to not go to far! I have a feeling that getting it back into the block it connects to might be very difficult
to accomplish by feel and getting to it to actually see it is bound to be a horror show.

Replace the belts in reverse order and retension and replace the panels and you should be good to go.

Belts on my unit are: Mitsubishi 9.5 X 700 La and Mitsubishi 5.5 X 592 La and I see no reason your belts would differ despite the 50Hz vs. 60Hz conundrum. In any case
you will probably want to remove yours before going for replacements to verify.

Back