Beer and Darts Cabin/Workshop Build

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul200

Established Member
Reaction score
Noticed there haven't been many workshop WIP's on here lately and wondered if you were all up for one? Apart from being on a sloping site it's not a particularly interesting or unusual build but I know how much people like a project with pictures!

Anyone interested in what I do with this lot?
IMG_1345a.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1345a.jpg
    IMG_1345a.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 2,478
I hope theres going to be a cribbage board in there. Cant have beer and darts and NOT have a cribbage board.

Okey Dokey. Exactly two years ago I started building my Sitooterie (Scots for summerhouse) my-sitooterie-t90558.html . Last year our house was being knocked about by builders creating a new kitchen extension, so now, at long last, I can get on with my leisure palace. While the builders were here I got them to grade the site and pour any left-over concrete into various holes in the ground just behind the house to start creating my 'tank trap' foundations.
IMG_1306a.jpg

As soon as the winter weather started receding I mixed and poured more concrete to make up the remainder, then as soon as that was done I ordered the timber. Timber deliveries are always a good laugh - the trucks are too long to turn into our drive off the narrow lane so they block the road for about 20 minutes while it's craned over the wall. Luckily the road isn't ever busy but I do stand watch for drivers to apologise to!

I knocked the base timbers together last week. Given the size and number of foundation blocks 4x2 timbers are sturdy enough. I proved this to myself when building the Sitooterie.
IMG_1387a.jpg

The biggest pain was attaching the various battens to support the insulation - and then fitting the insulation!
IMG_1391a.jpg

Next to go on was the OSB3 deck and we now have an insulated dance floor in the back yard!
IMG_1394a.jpg

IMG_1395a.jpg

Our new neighbours are going through the same building hell as we did last year and this included demolition of a conservatory that was never used because it was too hot in summer and extremely cold in winter. They were kind enough to offer the windows and a pair of doors for my cabin. This sort of thing happens a lot in our wee community - I call it Galloway barter. No money changes hands but something is usually offered in exchange. They didn't actually want anything in exchange but, being new, they weren't aware of how the system works, bless 'em! So I helped to stock up their log store ready for next winter. Everyone's happy 8)
IMG_1316a.jpg

You're probably wondering what it's going to look like but I don't have a working plan - it's in my head. It's a very simple 20 sq metre rectangular, dual pitch roofed building with the double doors on one end opening onto a small deck and two windows on each side. The windows are actually a little too deep (130cm) but I can work with that - they were free! Rain was persisting down today so nothing done but the next step is to use the base as a template for laying out and cutting the roof timbers. I got the idea from an American Youtube vid which shows how to create a jig on the base to make trusses. I'm not using trusses but the principle's the same. Sounds a bit back to front to cut the roof before putting up the walls but the idea of using a template at ground level that is exactly the same dimensions as the top of the walls is too good to pass up :wink:

More to come (hammer) (hammer)

Paul

Attachments

• IMG_1306a.jpg
    IMG_1306a.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 2,396
  • IMG_1387a.jpg
    IMG_1387a.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 2,396
  • IMG_1394a.jpg
    IMG_1394a.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 2,396
  • IMG_1395a.jpg
    IMG_1395a.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 2,396
  • IMG_1316a.jpg
    IMG_1316a.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 2,396
  • IMG_1391a.jpg
    IMG_1391a.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 2,396
sunnybob":ryhhbaiq said:
I hope theres going to be a cribbage board in there. Cant have beer and darts and NOT have a cribbage board.
I've never played cribbage but I'm sure I'll be able to knock one up once the workshop's finished :D

My dad never drank in a pub unless it had two darts teams and everyone knew how to plat cribbage. He drank in many, many pubs back then.

:wink: Yay! =D>
(ps:I see the wheelbarrow track is sorted. Sweet).
(pps: Don't forget the zombie defences).

Looking forward to this one Paul. :wink:
Regards
Chris

There's a good reason why the wheelbarrow track was prioritised Chris :wink:
C5xeULIXQAIwjBr.jpg

:eek:ccasion5:

Attachments

• C5xeULIXQAIwjBr.jpg
    C5xeULIXQAIwjBr.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 2,357
Is this the sort of thing you had in mind?
in-case-of-zombies-tool-shed.jpg

Attachments

• in-case-of-zombies-tool-shed.jpg
    in-case-of-zombies-tool-shed.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 2,349
Had a partially dry day on Friday so got all the rafters cut using the floor as a template.
IMG_1401a.jpg

Then yesterday turned out bright and sunny so I cracked on with the front wall. There's just myself and my loving wife here so I didn't fancy our chances of lifting a 4.8m x 2.2m lump of 4x2's into position! Instead I'll build the walls piecemeal as I did with our summer house. I did consider calling on my mate David's services, but he's building a house :shock: so I try not to bother him too much. (Him and his wife are total stars - between them they have virtually completed an eco house without a scooby doo about what they're doing! They've even asked my advice on occasion - that's how mad they are :roll: )
IMG_1399a.jpg

IMG_1400a.jpg

I decided to use Mike G's idea of squaring the end of the studding with a sheet of OSB - and at the same time solving the problem you get at corners with having nothing to attach the side of the sheet to on one wall. Works a treat.

We now have a huge advertising hoarding in our back garden! It's frighteningly tall at the front and caused a few problems when trying to attach the membrane on a breezy day!
IMG_1402a.jpg

Chuffed to bits with progress for the day but now I've got one wall up I need to get on with the others before it rains (never far away in Galloway!) in order to make the structure waterproof.
IMG_1403a.jpg

Plan for today is to quickly get the basic framework up and the roof timbers in place so that my sheet of DPM can go over the lot. Wish me luck!
(hammer) (hammer) (hammer)

Attachments

• IMG_1401a.jpg
    IMG_1401a.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 2,124
  • IMG_1399a.jpg
    IMG_1399a.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 2,124
  • IMG_1400a.jpg
    IMG_1400a.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 2,124
  • IMG_1402a.jpg
    IMG_1402a.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 2,124
  • IMG_1403a.jpg
    IMG_1403a.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 2,124
Don't know why but that last sentence should read '....basic framework up ......'

That's what I typed and that's what I submitted. I've tried editing it and it doesn't want to know! Weird?

Wheelbarrow a little heavier today mate? :D Crack on old son, looking good. Might paint that zombie warning above my shed door. :wink: Possibly in blood of my enemies but probably not...
Careful now. You're getting close to accommodation quota amounts of outbuildings and I could really do with a holiday. I have no transferable skills but I do like a nice malt. It's a no win for you tbh.
Looking forward to progress Paul when you can.
Cheers as always.
Chris.

Funnily enough Chris, when we moved here we had every intention to buy something with a possibility of converting an outbuilding to a holiday let. So many rural properties in Scotland have some kind of outbuilding - we thought. But not ours. The only thing resembling such a building was an old tin shed with 3, yep, 3 Oak trees on top of it :? Still, always one to look at the positives, the trees were cut up and serviced our log burner for the winter and the wrinkly tin is on the roof of our Sitooterie. So there was always a vague possibility that, even before we knew of each other's existence, you could have been holidaying in our delightful rural cottage. Alas we fell in love with the view and bought what was possibly the ONLY rural Galloway property without a business opportunity in the grounds. Such is life :roll:

Anyhow - to business.

Managed to get to this stage on Saturday
IMG_1404a.jpg

IMG_1405a.jpg

Then this morning, with attendant aches and pains from the previous day's efforts, I managed to sling more timber up in the air (despite my ancient Hitachi gas nailer deciding it's had enough, necessitating me slicing nails off of strips and trying to find a hammer!) and I've got the bare bones of a roof on the thing prior to the rain that's been forecast.
IMG_1406a.jpg

IMG_1407a.jpg

Great fun getting the big plastic rain hat on with a nice breeze blowing up from the Solway :lol: But we managed it and now I think my back's broken and my hands are one giant splinter. Quite fancy a malt :eek:ccasion5: At least the rain looks like giving me a day off tomorrow :D

Slainte!

Paul

Attachments

• IMG_1404a.jpg
    IMG_1404a.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 1,236
  • IMG_1405a.jpg
    IMG_1405a.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 1,237
  • IMG_1406a.jpg
    IMG_1406a.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 1,236
  • IMG_1407a.jpg
    IMG_1407a.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 1,236
Good progress Paul. While the roof is still off sell weekends at yours as Glamping to idiots from London with more money than sense. :D

Back