Baking parchment.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiskywill

Established Member
Reaction score
Calling all you bakers/cooks.
Is baking parchment the same as greaseproof paper? I am asking this question because, when making bread, I cook it in a pre-heated cast iron casserole pot. This gives a superb rise and a very good crust. To enable me to drop the dough into the hot pot, I do the second proving on a piece of baking parchment, then lift and drop the dough and paper into the pot.
I recently ran out of baking parchment, which I had originally bought in Lidl, but when shopping for more, they only had greaseproof paper. It looks exactly the same but, when used as above, it welds itself to the bottom of the loaf.
An online search suggests that they are the same......or different and interchangeable...... or not.

IIRC, the manufacture of baking parchment involves applying silicone, which makes it better at not sticking to things especially after they have cooled on the paper, like with cakes... It also tends to be reusable more often for several rounds of baking, or moved on to serve for ovening your chips, fish or chicken. Works great for Christmas puds.
I believe it's also cheaper than greaseproof, too!!

phil.p":2ctooyr0 said:
It's not the same. Baking parchment is more versatile. I don't use greaseproof any more. I found the best one to be from Lakeland - it's expensive, but it's a large roll.
+1

Regards Keith

Baking Parchment has a couple of grams per sq mt of silicone applied, making it non-stick. Commercial bakers will re-use it several times, but use a heavier gauge of paper than you can buy retail, so its more robust for repeated use. The stuff you'll find in supermarkets is really only good for one-shot use.

As others have said baking parchment is vastly superior to old-fashioned greaseproof paper.
It's also very useful in the workshop, because glue doesn't stick to it. I use it to stop cauls sticking to panels, and to stop things from gluing themselves to the bench during assembly.

Try making flapjack with grease proof instead of baking parchment and you will find out the difference!

I got some in Robert Dyass a few years ago now, but they may still stock it. Prob cheaper online though. HTH

They are completely different. Greaseproof paper is fine for wrapping sandwiches and cheese, but useless for lining cake tins as it sticks to cakes like glue.

Baking paper or parchment has a silicon coating which prevents cakes sticking to it, making it ideal for lining cake tins.

Woodchips2":4u383kdv said:
phil.p":4u383kdv said:
It's not the same. Baking parchment is more versatile. I don't use greaseproof any more. I found the best one to be from Lakeland - it's expensive, but it's a large roll.
+1

Regards Keith

Far be it from me to read the forum over breakfast table but...

... the replies above have the endorsement of the Domestic Controller here (he whispered, so as to avoid interrupting the crossword).

Slam dunk, I'd say.

E.

PS: apparently even me crunching toast is too noisy. AFAIK, she only had one glass of white last night, too. Sigh (v. quietly).

Back