Bailey No5 1/2 plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adrianthompson

Reaction score
Hi
This is my first post so hope it all works. I have a bailey 5 1/2 plane, made in England which appears to be quite old. However my concern is that it has a round end. On my other Bailey planes the end is curved. I am thinking this is an early plane from 1938 - 1939 era. It is very difficult to find out any information on these planes. Could someone please tell me the history of this plane. Thanks Adrian

Attachments

• Stanley bailey No 5 plane 0013.jpg
    Stanley bailey No 5 plane 0013.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 993
Hi Adrian, the picture says 'stanley bailey no 5' but what is stamped on the front of the casting? the picture quality makes it difficult to read..

It's a guess, maybe that was done by a user, possibly because a corner got damaged.

Like JohnPW has said. It got dropped, a corner snapped off leaving a rough edge, so the owner tidied it up neatly.

There's loads of online info about "type studies" of Stanley planes made in the USA but as far as I know we don't have enough obsessive collectors to have produced such things over here, at least not in the same depth. So if I were you I'd be happy to regard it as "quite old", put the rest of it back and enjoy it!

Hi
The plane has Made in England and then Bailey on the front casting. Thanks for all the comments. I think you are right in assuming it probably got damaged; but their are no cracks on the end so if it was chipped it was really well shaped and polished. I will renovate it and enjoy using it. Thanks again. Adrian

Back