Axminster 3-in-1 plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one, but to be honest I only really use it as a shoulder plane. I recall using it as a chisel plane once which was handy, but otherwise I leave it as is. It's a nice plane, but a little awkward to hold

Hi,

I have one and I've been pleased with it. The blade did need quite a bit of fettling (flattening back and squaring business end) but it works just fine now - the castings are pretty accurate.

It's not as much of a pleasure to use as my Veritas shoulder plane, but it's a useful and versatile tool.

Cheers, W2S

I have one of these and I love it. It mainly is used as a shoulder plane but I have used it to n it’s other modes. One word of caution though, I bought mine whilst on a trip to Somerset and I popped into the Axminster store just down the road from where I was staying. I took a known true engineering square with me. There were three on the shelf. One was a little out of true sole to shoulder, the second was a lot out of true, and the third was absolutely spot on! Considering that the blurb says that they are accurately machined to be true, raises concerns over both the manufacture, and the quality control. I’m very happy with mine, no major fetleing beyond honing and finishing the blade. I would not have kept either of the other two and would have had to return them.

Thanks all - I'll take a look at one in the morning and compare to the No 92. I think how it fits in my hand matters as anything awkward will make use more difficult, and that's not good when using for the first time. And I have an engineer's square so I'll be taking that along with me to check for square!

You might want to have a look at this: ebay item No 322844845119.

I bought one a few weeks ago and apart from blade fettling shenanigans, as mentioned above, I've been very happy with it

tony_s":fw3vul3d said:

I bought one a few weeks ago and apart from blade fettling shenanigans, as mentioned above, I've been very happy with it
That's cheap, isn't it - I wonder if there's something substantially wrong with it (the kind of issue Honest John saw above in the shop, maybe worse!) you could return as not fit for purpose (since there's no warranty)?

Yes, I guess there's an element of chance, but I don't think Axminster would sell them if they were borderline scrap (naive of me perhaps but for me it was a gamble that paid off)

Just got home with my new Rider 92 plane! The 3-in-1 felt less comfortable in my hand, and I think the 92 is what I need for the moment. I took along my engineer's square and checked the base/ sides and the sides were about 1mm off square. The funny thing is, so were all the Veritas planes they had on show. So I bought a new engineer's square as well as the shoulder plane.
This is the old one - does it have some kind of adjustment for square?
_MG_6131.jpg

If not, what is the wingnut for?

Thanks to all

Chris

Attachments

• _MG_6131.jpg
    _MG_6131.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 1,205
tony_s":2mat9v1i said:

I can't seem to find any listing of that number, am I doing something wrong or is it not still listed?

I searched under item number and it gave no returns, in both ebay UK and the main site.

Tried it again, same results.

Hello,

Indeed, just copy and paste the number into the search box, works a treat.

Now for a warning. I wonder exactly what makes them a second? If it is just a little fettling on the sole, or the blade, or some sharp casting relieving, all doable. If the blade bed is out of true, AKA azimuth error, then the plane is a paper weight. Similarly, if the nose pieces are not flush bottom and sides; could it be rescued without a milling machine is surface grinder. Cinder toffee castings are not uncommon, either. I would only take a punt if you can afford to lose £35. If you are expecting a bargain because funds are tight then I'd avoid disappointment. Of course they might be fine with some light work, but no returns is a risk if the repairs are impossible.

Mike.

Yeah I was copying and pasting :duno: Maybe it's because I'm not in the UK, although normally that doesn't matter even for items that don't ship internationally.

woodbrains":2v1sm0go said:
If the blade bed is out of true, AKA azimuth error, then the plane is a paper weight.

Wise advice.

Almost any bench plane can be made to deliver acceptable results, but shoulder planes are different. They're precision tools for precision jobs.

Chris152":1bjvt1ed said:
Just got home with my new Rider 92 plane! The 3-in-1 felt less comfortable in my hand, and I think the 92 is what I need for the moment. I took along my engineer's square and checked the base/ sides and the sides were about 1mm off square. The funny thing is, so were all the Veritas planes they had on show. So I bought a new engineer's square as well as the shoulder plane.
This is the old one - does it have some kind of adjustment for square?

If not, what is the wingnut for?

Thanks to all

Chris

Its a Milmet square have a look here rust-successfully-hunted-a-ramble-t5091.html?hilit=milmet%20square

I have a couple, one with the bevel blade missing.

Pete

ED65":2g70nbwn said:
tony_s":2g70nbwn said:

I can't seem to find any listing of that number, am I doing something wrong or is it not still listed?

Did you have the page set to "auction"?

phil.p":18ty32f8 said:
Did you have the page set to "auction"?
Lemme check... no, All listings was clicked and Worldwide for item location.

I don’t have the Axi version but I do have one of these:
xQQji0p.jpg

I agree with those posts above about it being a handy tool, although as I have a Record 077 I’ve only really used it as a shoulder plane and chisel plane. Once I set it up correctly it worked a treat.

Latest posts

Back